1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA 'Big 5' conference autonomy vote passes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Board of Governors ratified it 16-2. Member schools could still veto within 60 days, but that's unlikely:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2014/08/07/ncaa-board-of-directors-autonomy-vote-power-five-conferences/13716349/

Basically, this means the Big 5 conferences can enact their own legislation. It clears the way to pay stipends to players in revenue sports.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I also like that the players will have a seat at the table, which is unlike the NCAA, which, in it's arrogance, said they didn't deserve a seat.

I am concerned, though, that the Power Five schools will shut out the others in scheduling, which would suck.

3. sportbook

sportbook Member

I think they may not shut out the other conferences in scheduling. If I'm a football coach at Indiana, Wake Forest, or similar schools you might as well just forget it if you can't schedule lower level OOC schools.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't mind scheduling non-P5 schools. But I figure I-AA schools may have a tougher time getting games down the road when the four-non-conference games thing ends.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Why would they want to shut out their 56-3 wins in September?

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Because it hurts your chances to get in the playoff due to the strength-of-schedule hit.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

SEC having to give up their bodybag games? [/trolling]

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Body bag games can be a substantial part of a smaller school's athletic budget. Hell, some seasons they get two or three paydays playing the designated victim.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Whole lotta questions about this.

For instance, the Power 5 conferences decide to pay stipends to athletes in revenue sports. That would include men's hoops.

Where does that leave "mid majors" such as Gonzaga, or even leagues like the Big East, which is no longer part of a "power" conference? If the smaller D-1 basketball leagues decide against stipends for athletes, it will alter the March Madness landscape significantly.

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Seems like the power conferences could easily "price out" the mid majors with these stipends if they control the legislation, and that seems ridiculous. The idea of compensating players is almost universally hailed but what if it comes at the cost of competitive balance?

The losing I-AA games point could be relevant seeing as the CAA voted against this, I think the two dissenting were them and the Ivy

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Enforcement will be the biggie. I could see a lot of "accounting/bookkeeping" errors when handing out stipends to athletes.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Obligatory Title IX post. How long before volleyball, women's basketball and softball players want a cut?

Draft saved Draft deleted