1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA baseball tournament thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, May 29, 2006.

1. OJ1414

OJ1414 Member

Ole Miss' Mike Bianco is surely going to be answering questions about this one today.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Hey back off Moddy ... you seen the basketball teams the Aces have been running out onto the court lately? I'm just pleased UE's doing something.

I can't see them getting past USC, though.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I spent much of Spring 05 in Louisiana and was amazed at how big college baseball was. There was also a huge rivalry between LSU and Tulane; so I'm not surprised that the coach got canned after not making the tourney. Saddened, but not surprised. I wonder if LSU will go after the Tulane coach now?

4. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

5. So .... since Skip Bertman retired:

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Not if he's picking out the uniforms they shouldn't.

[​IMG]

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

8-3 Evansville, bottom of the third. Bases loaded for the Aces. In a rain delay.

Great, great story if the Aces go in there and win that thing!

8. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Smoke Laval, media relations expert...
    Way to go out with class, Smoke. ::)
    http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/2927106.html

9. dixiehack

He can't do that to one of our pledges. Only we can do that to our pledges.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Dude's record is pretty good. Was this "firing" a good call?

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't get it. I guess missing one NCAA tournament (that you were screwed to miss) is less important than two CWS appearances in five years. But they love their baseball down there, and they're expectations are ridiculously high for a program with 11.7 schollies, just like everyone else. Down years happen to everyone in this sport.

Maybe having an assistant named Turtle was a mistake, though.

Anyone hear who they're looking at? Wells? Corbin?

12. dixiehack

Actually, LSU unofficially has more scholarships to work with. The state has what is called the Taylor Plan to award scholarships to high schools students with B averages (unlike Georgia's HOPE scholarships, this isn't funded with lottery money). Therefore, LSU can recruit in-state players who qualify for this plan (since it's available to non-jocks, it passes NCAA muster) and save the 11.7 for out of state talent. Several other SEC schools benefit from similar setups.

Draft saved Draft deleted