1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA baseball tournament thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, May 29, 2006.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Hey this is Jim Bob in Tuscaloosa,

We don't really have 12 national championships in football. We use inferior polls when we count, though.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Templeton said Mississippi State and LSU were not head-to-head at crunch time in the discussion. Hamrick said the same thing. Then he proceeded to say three times that "sometimes it comes down to how teams did head-to-head" against each other.

Not if the teams aren't head-to-head at crunch time for a tournament berth.

Sounds like they couldn't keep their stories straight.

3. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

From way earlier in this thread, I have a question ...

Has there actually been real discussion about moving the baseball season into the summer months? It would be the next logical step toward the NCAA admitting that they really don't give two shits about anything but what happens on the field, so I'd be in favor of it for no other reason than the NCAA can come fully out of the closet.

4. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Lester,

There has been that discussion, particularly from Big Ten teams like Ohio State and Michigan. The ones that are competitive.

The common theory is the pro draft is what keeps them from moving the season back. It used to coincide with the CWS. Now it's earlier. Pro clubs don't want their raw prospects playing with aluminum bats and such all the way to the Fourth of July.

So obviously it favors your SEC, your ACC, your Pac 10 (the ones that play).

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

This would also cost the schools a *shitload* of money since they have to pay the athletes a per dium when they're not in school, and they couldn't be required to take summer classes. Right now the NCAA players are racking up on meal money, housing subsidy, etc. If regular season was going on right now the bills would pile up.

6. G-Spot

G-Spot Member

I wonder if teams in the SEC and ACC feel a bit left out of the Frozen Four? Never really does get cold enough down in the south for the kiddies to jump out on the frozen pond and slap the ole puck around.

College baseball is a distinctly southern sport and asking graduating seniors to compete three months beyond the end of the school year is crazy. The effect of weather, although unfortunate, is reality and there isn't much that can be done about it.

The NCAA is moving back the start date next year which should provide some relief to schools.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Probably not, because they don't even sponsor hockey programs.

But if they did, and if they were routinely screwed come NCAA selection time, I'm sure they'd have a complaint.

8. occasionally

occasionally Member

So for all of the northern schools who feel screwed out there, don't sponsor baseball!

You have plenty of brethren who have already gone that direction -- Colorado, Oregon, Iowa State and Wisconsin, just to name four.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So your retort for competitive baseball programs getting screwed because of regional bias and disadvantage is drop baseball?
    That's just fucking stupid...

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

just fyi -- dude from princeton has a no-hitter through 7 against arkansas. it's 0-0

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i'm sure being in lexington is why notre dame couldn't win a game

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That's one of the stupidest things I've read on here in a long time.

Draft saved Draft deleted