1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Bans Wedge Blocks & Eye Black Messages Starting in 2010

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Apr 15, 2010.

1. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Jake Locker would like to know when he became black.

Mark Gastineau also begs to differ with you.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

What if you were black and wore eye white?

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Regarding the eye black rule I don't think they went far enough.

They should also restrict eye black to the peel-and-stick variety and ban the grease paint kind that kids use to paint their faces.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I've got 100 bucks that says it does.

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I'd like to take the money I put on the Pac-10 being the first and put it on the SEC. Totally forgot about that. Pac-10 officials are bad, but they're incompetent bad, not trying-to-affect-outcome bad. :)

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I haven't noticed it getting any more excessive than it used it be. I think the taunting going on in the 80s with the Miami Hurricanes, Deion Sanders, Bosworth, end zone GROUP dances, Gastineau, Ickey Shuffles and all that other crap seemed more excessive than what I've seen in recent years.

And, frankly, I'm not sure what great harm is caused by a guy high stepping a few steps as he goes into the end zone. It's already being penalized, there's no need to keep adding new ones. Taking away the touchdown is inviting many a shitstorm to come, and there's gonna be endless controversy over why one TD got called back and another didn't.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I can't remember where I saw it but last year a college player ran backwards into the end zone. It was absurd.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

John Randle thinks this idea is horseshit.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've seen way too many trigger-happy referees throw ridiculous taunting flags (like when a tiring running back is at the end of a 50-yard TD run and dives the last few yards into the end zone) to think this won't affect the outcome of a game at some point.
    Giving mediocre college refs that kind of power is asking for trouble, especially when you know the NCAA will make it a point of emphasis to enforce the new rule.

10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I'm actually more sick of watching SEC referees barge into somebody who's just scored telling them not to celebrate. Throw a flag or don't throw a flag. Do they run into the line and try to stop holding?

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It most certainly is an epidemic. College is supposed to be a tuneup for the real world. In the real world, you don't use every piddling success as an excuse to act like you're in a cola commercial.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This is a silly argument.

"Every piddling success" in the real world doesn't involve scoring touchdowns in front of 80,000 fans. If it did, I'm guessin even the most repressed accountant would jump up and down and celebrate a bit.

Playing big time college football is not part of the normal college experience, these guys aren't high stepping and taunting while registering for classes or taking tests, they're doing it while playing an emotionally charged game that is completely foreign to the part of college designed to prepare kids for "the real world." The only "real word" career this is a tune up for is playing pro football or, perhaps, in the MMA ring. I'm fairly certain these guys understand that they're supposed to behave differently in an office environment.

Draft saved Draft deleted