1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA alleges "major violations" at Memphis under Calipari

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl, May 27, 2009.

1. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Well zag is a legal expert, so I wouldn't argue with him.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It was actually the 1970's. From an article about Tark winning his lawsuit against the NCAA:

Tarkanian said his battles with the NCAA began when he was coaching at Long Beach State and writing a periodic guest column for the Long Beach Press Telegram.

“I wrote that the NCAA will go after the small schools but never the big schools,” he said. “Western Kentucky got put on probation even though there were a lot more violations taking place at Kentucky.

“Warren Brown [then the head of the NCAA] wrote to my athletic director ripping me. He wrote, ‘What does Tark think, Long Beach is a big school?’ ”

From that point on, Tarkanian said, the NCAA hounded him.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Poin, that's a different quote. This Tarkanian line came after the Emery disaster.

4. Thank you. ma'am, for confirming that I am not wholly senile.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

You're lying!
    You made a funny

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Thank you.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I wonder if Rose was upset that, after he was able to get somebody else to take his college-entrance exam, he was unable to get somebody else to take his free throws for him late in the national-title game?

8. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I think the millions he's now making with the Bulls, off sets your weak jab.

9. KP

KP Active Member

Don't forget about UMass' Final Four trip. - A Cal tradition as well.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Ah, the old, "He makes more money than you" comeback. Time tested, and still lazy.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

As for the actual alleged fraudulent act, it calls to mind one of the funniest lines from one of the funniest movies of all time: Friday, when Smokey tells Craig, "You've got to be a dumb M-F to lose your job on your day off!"

You definitely have to be a dumb M-F to have to cheat on your SAT to get accepted at Tiger High!

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Yet another reason why high school players should have the choice to bypass these greasy situations and head straight into their chosen profession.

Draft saved Draft deleted