1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA alleges "major violations" at Memphis under Calipari

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl, May 27, 2009.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I was talking with another fellow KU fanboi who said now it doesn't matter that Chalmers hit The Shot because KU would have been champions any way. I told him no. Not only would the NCAA not have made Memphis (or any other major sport champion) forfeit the title, but even if they had, the title would be vacated and no champion declared for that year, right?

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Theoretically, yes.

But would the NCAA do it? They didn't when discovering that Clemson's football program wasn't exactly playing by the rules in 1981. They certainly didn't when the men's basketball program at Nevada-Las Vegas was more crooked than altered dice during Jerry Tarkanian's reign. The NCAA even let the '91 team off the hook, probably because they knew they would be viewed as the bad guys in that one ... thank you, Duke.

Somehow, I think if Mario Chalmers doesn't hit the shot and Memphis takes the title, the NCAA alters the punishment to more probation and hammering the program. Of course, John Calipari gets off without any sanctions.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Clemson football is a poor example. The NCAA does not crown a Division I-A football national champion and never has.

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Oh, I agree too. What I mean is it isn't going to be pretty for the program, but for those of us sitting back waiting for it to happen, it's going to be amazing.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I know this is going to upset the resident UK fans, especially IJAG, but seriously: Weren't you fucking people paying attention to what happened in Bloomington? For fuck's sake, the Hoosiers went 6-25 last year. You just KNOW that in 2011-12, the Cats are going 4-32.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

God I hate you. :D :D :D

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And all four wins will be vacated after the fact by the NCAA.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

OK, a bunch of voters handed Clemson the national title. But still ... when was the last time the NCAA messed with a titleholder? No way all of them were clean.

9. Bob Crotchet

Bob Crotchet Member

As in ...

Q: How much money will Memphis lose?

A: If the appeal fails, the total would be $615,000, school president Shirley Raines said. That's $85,000 that Memphis has already received and $530,000 that it's scheduled to receive in the future as a result of the 2008 NCAA Tournament run.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/aug/21/answering-tough-questions/

Draft saved Draft deleted