1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBCSports jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by budcrew08, May 15, 2007.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

After the layoffs at NBCSports.com, I know at least one more person who has resigned, but I haven't seen that job posted in any of the usual places. Anyone have any idea what's going on there? ???
  2. donaugust

donaugust Member

I've heard of four people who have resigned, night editor, NFL producer, NHL producer, golf producer. Some may still be there finishing their two weeks' notice, but all have other jobs lined up.

Haven't seen any of these jobs posted but surely they are filling them. Just don't know what they will get right now. Some quality people leaving. The layoffs probably killed morale.
  3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Yeah. They're hemorrhaging money.
  4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

You'd have to think that with the Sunday night NFL, NASCAR coverage, and the NHL that NBC has, the money would be pretty good, and positions would be filled.
  5. donaugust

donaugust Member

Management tried to sugarcoat it in the Sports Business Journal a couple months ago by saying "fewer than 10 people" were laid off. (Paraphrased.)

In reality, that was eight of the 24 newsroom employees.
  6. fishwrapper

It is very, very expensive to produce original content.
    None of these website are producing talent. They're snatching it. All of sudden their banner and rail ads aren't paying the high salaries and travel. Much of their content is wire copy. Finally, an exec, sees he/she isn't getting bang for the big bucks. Poof.
    Need evidence? See FOXSports.com.
  7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I don't know what they paid anyone but the copy editors. I just went back and found an e-mail from a friend last summer when they started hiring people to work the desk -- they asked him if he knew anyone and he asked me if I knew anyone. The e-mail said, "Entry-level jobs are about $35K - $40K; Depending on experience, other jobs would be about $40K -$60K." I passed it on to two people who are still either unemployed or in the same extremely low-paid position he was then, figuring it was risky but for them it would be better than what they had. I mean, that was not a lot of money for living in Connecticut.
  8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Poor NBC. How do they even keep the lights on?
  9. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Hey it looks like allot of sports news websites use alot of wire copy and not enough original reporting and that is something that yahoo sports is trying to do more off.
  10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Two misspellings of a lot within seven words and breaking the "don't end a sentence with a preposition" rule with an adverb. This must be a record.
  11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

well, three if you cound web site.
  12. fishwrapper

General Electric.
Draft saved Draft deleted