1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

nbcsports.com

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by drakescoffeecake, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I was about to say ... there's a difference between a beat writer for a web site and an online producer from what I know in the business.

My question is - how big of a player is NBC in the sports web site world? To me, it ranks far below the SIs, ESPNs, Sportslines, etc.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

From a good source, salaries for desk are significantly below NYC standards; possibly competitive with Hartford or Westchester; better than Bridgeport or New Haven.

3. Jumpin Jack Flash

Jumpin Jack Flash New Member

This is a great point, but the worry about newspapers isn't totally fair. Many are moving toward a strong online presence. We can't all be ESPN, but a serious, diverse online presence makes a big difference.

4. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

NBC made quite a bit of money with its Olympics site in Torino, so they are very committed to this. They are devoting major resources to it and understand it will take time to build.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

But if you impress NBC with your NFL web wizardry, would they keep you on for the Olympics after they lose their NFL contract?

6. donaugust

donaugust Member

... after six years there if they lose the NFL you'd be in a position to get another job somewhere else, I'm sure.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That's the way it is currently, but it's also why working there could be a lot of fun. They have big plans for the future.

8. I look at it this from a Darwinian perspective: Anyone who still bases their opinion of any major sports Internet site on what happened to the business in 2000 has got to be a pretty dim bulb and thus one less person in competition for an opening in the future.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

FWIW: I like the website so far. You're not overwhelmed with scoreboards and other stuff. Work in progress, but I like the emphasis on stories in the beta version.

Draft saved Draft deleted