1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC's 'The Firm'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NDub, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

It started at 9pm. The game ended roughly around 8pm Eastern.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My bad.

I thought it was starting earlier. I guess I should have paid attention to the 187 promos NBC aired during Saturday's NFL games.

3. NDub

NDub Guest

Is NBC ever going to do anything right with TV again? Jeez.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I meant to watch it too... I was too busy sending texts to my friends who are Steelers fans that I forgot.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

The discouraging thing is NBC has launched three of the funniest comedies (The Office, Community and Parks &Rec )and one of the best dramas of the decade (Friday Night Lights) and annually gets crushed by the Bland Bruckheimer Express of CBS.

Reality and broad rule OTA. Go there or die. If NBC were a cable network, it would have built an empire with the shows it has on Thursday night alone.

This is an aging, increasingly reminiscent country. NBC treated its programming like America is young.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I've seen the movie a million times on cable and skimmed through the book (although didn't really finish it).

My impression is the TV series is a sequel to the book more than the movie.

In the movie, McDeere fixed it so the Moroltos would NOT have a strong incentive to hunt him down and kill him (in fact they would have a vested interest in keeping him alive) -- in the book, they would. It looks like the TV show is gonna go in the direction that the Moroltos are still after him.

Lucas doesn't look much like Cruise but he's trying to mimic his mannerisms from the movie. Molly Parker looks nothing whatsoever like Tripplehorn -- any time she's on screen somebody needs to name-check her to remind everybody who she's supposed to be.

7. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I'm not so sure NBC can blame its problems on America at this point. Yeah, CBS is on top by playing to the middle (not a business strategy I'll actually knock, it works). But ABC and FOX remain competitive network players and they take more risks on better and more unique programming (for networks, that is) - and market it far more competently - than NBC has done with any of its dramas over the past...Christ, decade? When did "Friends" end again? The network is just poorly run. Though they only need a season with a couple hit shows to pull them out of it. ABC was the network everybody made fun of until "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives" happened, and that wasn't so long ago.

As for "The Firm," pilot was solid. I hope they keep it around. I think it could build an audience on its proper night and time.

8. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

I watched it and enjoyed it. I loved the book and enjoyed the movie as well, so I was going to watch no matter what.

Interested to see where it goes. Hopefully, folks will give it a chance. I thought it was pretty solid.

I noticed in the credits that Grisham was an executive producer, so I wonder how much involvement he has with this.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I liked the show. Molly Parker is no Jeannie Tripplehorn. On a scale of 10, ms. Parker is about a 4 bod and a 3 face.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Fuck NBC for yanking Prime Suspect.

11. NDub

NDub Guest

Fuck NBC for yanking "The Event."

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Tripplehorn is no world-class raving beauty either. Although she was looking about her best when "The Firm" was shot -- I'd give her about a 7.5 body and 6 face.

Draft saved Draft deleted