1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC's 'The Firm'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NDub, Jan 9, 2012.

1. NDub

NDub Guest

Did anyone watch last night's pilot? Man, it was damn solid. Two hours of good drama, character building, and a base to launch the series. I'm in.

I'm surprised at some of the reviews:

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/review-nbc-puts-josh-lucas-in-the-firm

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/01/09/the-firm-premiere/

And, no, I don't remember the movie and never read the books. So this is all new to me.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Watched and enjoyed the movie. Read and enjoyed the book (singular). Maybe I'm missing out, but the exercise seems pointless, so I'm passing on this one.

3. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

A big difference in the book/movie is that the lead character is right out of law school. I love Molly Parker though and Josh Lucas is a decent actor. He was recently in the Lincoln Lawyer with another Grisham alum, Matthew McConnaughey.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So is it a reboot of movie or a sequel?

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I meant to watch this. The story is supposed to pick up 10 years after the book/movie.

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

It was sooooo good. I loved it last night. Can't wait until Thursday.

7. It was last night? Well, hell...guess there's always online

8. NDub

NDub Guest

They aired the two-hour pilot on a Sunday night, yet the show will regularly air on Thursdays at 9 p.m. I'm not sure why NBC did it, but this move isn't surprising considering the tons of f-ups NBC has done in marketing its shows.

9. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

It doesn't seem that weird to me. It's usually going to be a one-hour show, so if it's a two-hour premier, might need to shuffle around what day it's on. Thursday is the big comedy night on NBC, so you couldn't put two hours of The Firm then. Plus, yesterday was a big day for TV with the playoffs (even though NBC only had a Saturday game), so there were a lot of eyes already glued.

10. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Because I remember these sorts of things ... NBC has done this with other shows over the years, including ER. The ER pilot ran on a Sunday and then it took its regular place in the Thursday night lineup the following week.

I started to watch The Firm and got a phone call and missed a bunch of it. I may try to catch up with it in my on demand. I wanted to like it, but I wasn't immediately hooked.

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

NBC's worst in season debut with a 1.4/3 according to Sepinwall.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Airing opposite Tebow vs. Steelers will do that to you.

Draft saved Draft deleted