1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC's Richard Engel kidnapped in Syria, now free

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Not many reports out there, for obvious reasons.

http://gawker.com/5969029/richard-engel-is-missing-in-syria-nbc-news-enforces-news-blackout

2. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

Re: NBC's Richard Engel reportedly missing in Syria

Can someone explain why they'd ask for a blackout (and why Gawker chose to ignore that request)?

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Really good reporter in a place that really needs it. Pretty sure I saw one of his last reports last week, and he seemed sort of nonchalant about the dangers he faced. Or at least it came off that way in his package, which was really good. I sort of give him credit for not being sensational, and for being there. And now I really hope for the best for him. Really hope he's ok. (and I really don't know how well I articulated my thoughts here, but I promise it's all sincere)

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Syria hasn't had Internet for a few weeks now. I assume mobile devices don't work either. If Richard's communications equipment was damaged, he just might not be reachable.

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I don't know why they would ask for a blackout in this particular instance. In other cases where journalists were kidnapped (again, don't know if that is what happened here), blackouts were requested due to kidnapper demands.

Prayers for his safe return.

I don't know for sure why Gawker reported this, but my immediate reaction is that they just plain suck.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hope he is ok. His reporting in The Middle East is second to none.

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

He was reachable last Thursday, according to the article. Doesn't make sense.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I was just talking with a friend Friday night who works for Rock Center. He went to Yemen with Engel recently and mentioned that he was in Syria now. So at least as of Friday night, people who work with him didn't seem to suspect anything was wrong.

9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I suspect they've asked for a blackout in case he's been kidnapped and his kidnappers don't know who he is, exactly. Now they know he's an important American TV correspondent.

That is my guess.

I would also guess that Gawker decided to break the blackout once cracks starting showing in it on Twitter and elsewhere. These are really hard times to keep a secret.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Indeed. Plays into the kidnappers' hands. If no one knows he's there, then they can negotiate behind the scenes. If everyone knows he's there, there starts to be pressure to get him freed, so the kidnappers can raise any ransom demand.

It's not at all uncommon in situations like this, even when the person isn't well-known.

11. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

Appreciate the replies. I assumed the "Gawker sucks" part on my own, but wasn't sure why the blackout was necessary.

Praying he returns safely.

12. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

His work is excellent, and I've often seen him reporting from chaotic or dangerous situations and wondered how long he'd keep doing that before he got a post that was less hazardous. Surely his body of work should earn a top assignment back home, or someplace like London if he wants it. But he probably doesn't. Watching his reports, the impression I'm left with is that he loves covering the Middle East and doesn't want to be anywhere else. Let's all hope he's OK.

Draft saved Draft deleted