1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC's Heroes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beer_Baron, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Beer_Baron

Beer_Baron Member

Surely I'm not the only SJer watching.

As a longtime scifi/comic book/superhero guy, I really enjoy it.

The artist who can only paint the future when high is particularly inventive. What do the rest of you think?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm not a comic book guy, but spup and I love the show.

3. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Missed the first episode, want to see it badly... If I jump in now will I be missing a lot, a la Lost?

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Good show that's getting better every week. Thought it was interesting last night that after the two Japanese guys save the little girl, there was a fairly blatant red X inside of a circle behind the guy who can't teleport. Thought it might be a nod to the X-Men.

The show kind of strikes me as a cross between X-Men and Unbreakable. It's got a similar tone to Unbreakable, in that these are otherwise normal people who just feel like their meant for something bigger and start discovering their powers. The X-Men part is a bit more obvious in that it certainly appears this group is going to all come together at some point and join forces to stop some evil deeds.

I'm certainly in for the rest of the season.

Oh, and Roy, you can probably jump in now. You'll figure out much of what you missed and you can probably just jump online to catch up if you need to.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I didn't catch last night's show. It is in my DVR.

I enjoyed the first two episodes. The only thing I didn't like about the second was the rehashing of many scenes from the first one. Other than that, this appears to be a quality show.

6. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I watched the last half of last nights episode, I hope no problem figuring out the story line so I wouldn't let that be a deterrent from watching next week..

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I set a season pass for this, and enjoyed the first two episodes. I haven't watched last night's yet.

I'm also not a sci-fi/comic book person, but am enjoying this one.

8. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

NBC has already given the go-ahead for a full season.

First new show to get that distinction, I believe.

9. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I'll be the first to say that I absolutely hate comic books, sci fi, anime and that whole nerd scene.

But I also love this show.

It certainly draws a lot from X-Men, to the point that I question some of its creativity. There are some things that I could do without. For one, they just made the star quarterback out to be some creep who rapes the cheerleaders. I think that was probably written by some guy who doesn't know the first thing about the football team. And it seems like the girl is always wearing her cheerleading outfit.

They have gained my attention. Now, though, I hope they'll slow it down a bit. A person can get lost in all of the up-tempo, multi-story thread stuff. Consider how Lost achieved that happy medium between high drama and back story by focusing on one individual for many of its episodes. I think we need that character building now before we move forward.

Also, this story is about what's happening now, not about what happened before. That whole mystery of the past aspect needs to fade out. It's fine that they built up that suspense, but it's time to clear that up a bit.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Are you saying that rapists tend to be defensive players?

11. dog428

dog428 Active Member

One of the main complaints of the critics prior to the season was that the show simply had too many meaningful characters and storylines to keep up with.

That was my thought, too. It's not that the show isn't good. I really enjoy it. But when you get a little ways in, you need a map to keep up with all this stuff. They just try to do too much individual stuff with these heroes, even after they come together.

Having said that, if you can keep it all together, it's a solid, solid show.

And Ace, everybody knows that it's always the steroid-loaded linebacker who does the raping. Just like it's always the black running back from the projects who can't pass his classes. You know, it's never the well-to-do white kid who does any dumb shit. It's like the Heroes writers never watched a sports movie before. If they had, they'd know that there's only two options for a skinny white kid -- role model quarterback or triumphant underdog.

12. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Exactly what I'm saying, except, of course, for David Meggett. But I think he played special teams, so that qualifies him.

Really, it just reinforces a stereotype. But I don't know. I wasn't the star quarterback. Maybe looking at the playbook makes you want to rape someone. When I was in high school, I was happy to sit at home on Friday night, perusing the lingerie section of the Sears cata...I mean, um, great show. Yep. I love Heroes.

Draft saved Draft deleted