1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC's Green Week: Annoying? Or Orwellian?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Nov 8, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I know we've riffed on Green Week in other threads, but this is really beginning to creep me out. EVERY NBC show has a green theme? Never mind how weird these episodes are going to look in syndication (why is the Janitor giving the rest of the Scrubs cast tips on being a good environmentalist). But isn't it a little disconcerting when the network bigwigs can dictate the topic and direction of EVERY show on the network?

Isn't that the point of no return? It seems to me to be even more dangerous than an advertorial in the newspaper. It's like arranging a marriage between editorial and advertising and watching intently as they sloppily fuck. If they've done it once, what's to stop them from doing it for an entire season? What's to stop NBC from pushing a theme on to its shows for an entire season? Isn't it easy to see how this could easily get out of hand? Or am I just a conspiracy theorist?

(This was typed from an apartment with lights on in every room)

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I am the person who goes around to each room and turns off the lights before I leave the house.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Stop following me around the house, Bucky!!! :D

I turn the lights off too. But I've been in every room in the last hour, so there!

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I wish I was merely annoyed. Holy crap.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I just found it annoying. Specially when I was watching them dick around in the studio on Sunday Night Football, mocking the concept with their flashlights and glowsticks. And the network mocked the concept with the hugeass lightup Toyota sign that burned into your brains even more with nothing else to look at in studio.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely annoying. And I only watched Sunday Night Football; I'm glad I don't watch anything else on NBC.

Now if they could leave the smug, glib, wussy Matt Lauer at the north pole, that would be outstanding.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm the person who won't leave a light on when I leave a room. But that's because I'm very thrifty.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Maybe green week on NBC will help Notre Dame finally get another win. ... Nah.

9. KG

KG Active Member

I find it annoying. I'm sick and tired of hearing about all of their stupid hybrids with all the annoying little ads slipped in there.

When I watch a comedy or drama it's to escape reality. Besides, gas is robbing me of too much of my paycheck to even THINK about saving some money for one of those shoeboxes. Plus, the puny little cars they keep showing...there's no way in hell I'll drive something that small around Atlanta with the rest of the maniac drivers.

I don't have a problem with NBC promoting going green; I think it's a great idea. But instead of putting it into the script of the shoes, which just looks fake as can be, they should have the show stars doing a little plug when they go to break for commercials. Putting it into the script is driving me nuts.

10. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Watch Mythbusters. It's on Discovery Channel right now.

I haven't watched NBC since the football game. I think I'm glad I haven't.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I like the Honda Hybrid. It's the quietest car I've ever driven, and the gas mileage is great. My sister read a study that said by buying one of those cars, a lot of it is paid for with the money you save on gas. I believe it, too.

As for the size of the car, I don't find it to be any more small than any other car. If you get a Civic, hybrid or not, the car is going to be the size of a Civic. You can also get hybrid SUVs and trucks.

I don't have a hybrid, but both of my parents and sister have one. I've driven a 2003 and a 2006 Civic Hybrid, and they handle almost the same as a regular Honda.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i thought they did well on earl

30 rock did a good job, too

you'll all be greenzoed!

a whale is in trouble! i have to go!

Draft saved Draft deleted