1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC's Community on hiatus

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NickMordo, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

And the flip-side of that coin is Smasher, the board's biggest Leno fan.

2. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Troy and Abed on HIA-TUS!
    I feel the same way. I loved Terriers, Lights Out and Rubicon, as well as Men of a Certain Age. All of which got shit-canned. And Friday Night Lights - which was one of my favorite shows of all-time - needed a DirecTV reprieve to get past its second season, and new episodes were buried on Friday nights in June on NBC.
    I've come to believe that shows like Community - which I really enjoy - are shunned because they actually challenge people and make them think, whereas the "Two and a Half Men" clones of the world let you check out and zombify before the TV.
    To throw a Simpsons reference in, "Community" is the kind of show Homer enjoyed before Moe rammed the crayon back into his brain. "Two and a Half Men" is the after, and that's kind of sad, given its massive popularity.

3. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Good post. Community would have been better off on a cable network. And to say that you (whoever compared the show to Chuck Lorre shows) would rather listen to Ashton Kutcher over Abed, I don't know what that says overall about our society. The smart characters are almost deemed as boring and less entertaining, but in a sitcom like the Big Bang Theory where smart people are deemed funny -- even when they aren't as "deep" as characters like Abed, both emotionally and mentally.

4. Count me among those who find Community the smartest show currently on TV. In fact, I don't even think it's close.

That said, I'm legitimately curious about some of the "eh, not so great" opinions expressed earlier in this thread.

It sounds like some of you watch the show regularly, but still feel the need to dismiss it. I can only presume that since you acknowledge watching it (on at least a semi-regular basis), you find it sufficiently entertaining to continue tuning in (or have on DVR).

So, you don't think it's so hot, but still opt to watch it. Why?

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Pardon me, but what the fuck are you talking about? Leno fan? Not me, sorry.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Hoping that this week is one of the winners.

See Live, Saturday Night.

7. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Oh, I'm sorry. I just notice you blowing him every time Conan gets mentioned. Apologies if you're not actually a fan.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

OK, I get it now. You have a problem with reading comprehension.

I pointed out more than once that Conan's problem at 11:35 was that Conan's act didn't translate to that audience. For all the hand-wringing over the lousy lead-in 10 o'clock Leno provided and how Leno screwed him by taking back 11:35, the fact was there just weren't that many people who wanted to watch Conan on NBC at 11:35. Some of us saw that coming. I predicted Conan would fail at 11:35 when the succession plan was first announced well in advance of the move.

If you can translate that in blowing into "blowing" Leno, perhaps English is your second language?

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I can think it's both. It's extremely smart, but there's more to a good TV show than just being smart. It's very good, but I don't know if I'd call it great. If it were cancelled tomorrow, I'd still remember it fondly but I wouldn't be that upset. If something like Parks and Rec were cancelled, I'd be upset.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I don't know, Smasher. I think he has pictures. ;)

As much as I watch TV, I think the only three shows I would be really upset if they were shitcanned now would be "Sons of Anarchy," "It's Always Sunny" and "The Good Wife."

11. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Couldn't let this get past without a bravo, sir. Well done.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Same here. I like the show and I had three unwatched episodes on the DVR.

Draft saved Draft deleted