1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC's Community on hiatus

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NickMordo, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

How? Is Community filmed on the moon and I just don't know it?

And dropping "magnitude" requires a "Pop, Pop!"

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This. Great show. I love it. But it tries so hard to be smart that it turns off most of the general viewing public.

Also, Alison Brie = hot hot hot hot hot hot ...

3. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

This week's ep was great. Hell, every episode of 'Community' has been better than anything else on Thursday night since it has been on the air - with the exception of some 'Parks and Rec' episodes. '30 Rock' was good when it came out but I hardly kept up with it last year.

Very sad.

4. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

At least they are trying to be different though. I once read an interview in WIRED magazine about the show's creator and his step-by-step process of making each episode, very scientific. It's better than the average dick joke.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Trust me, I'm not complaining. I think it's a tremendous show. The episode with the party at Troy and Abed's with the dice last month was TV comedy at its best. I'm just saying it doesn't appeal to the laugh-track crowd.

6. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Yeah, it's too meta for its own meta self.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Apparently it's not finished:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/community-nbc-midseason-cancelled-joel-mchale-261241

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Precisely. The challenge is to keep mainstream appeal while also being smart. I think "Modern Family" does that well.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Modern Family, which I enjoy, is nowhere near as "smart" as Community. Its jokes are all above the counter. Community is brilliant and maybe too content with itself for it. 30 Rock might be a better example of a smart show that still had the mainstream appeal, though I think 30 Rock draws its ever-increasing ratings from the popular side projects of its stars.

Anyway, I read here that this season of Community would be allowed to finish filming and would be aired at some point, even if NBC doesn't renew for a fourth season. The annoying part, in my opinion, is that the show never really could have gone much past a fourth season based on its premise. It probably could be ended naturally after this season. Why not let those of us who love this show get to see it out properly?

10. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

If it does get taken away from us forever, it will go down with "Arrested Development" and "Freaks and Geeks" as one of those shows that deserved much better.

What a shame.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Community: The Show That Isn't Quite As Funny As So Many Think It Is

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

How could that possibly be? Are they hallucinating their own laughter?

Draft saved Draft deleted