1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC's "Awake"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Anyone else watching this? I gotta admit, I'm a bit gun shy after The Kiling [/crossthread], but the first two episodes have been very promising.

The premise: An LA homicide cop (Jason Isaacs, probably best known as the villain in Mel Gibson's The Patriot or as Malfoy in the Harry Potter films) is in a car accident that killed either his son or his wife. Every time he wakes up, he's in one "reality" or the other — either his son survived and his wife died, or vice versa. He can't tell which is real and which is a dream. In each "reality" he also has a different partner and a different therapist (much of the explication is done in his therapy sessions).

It's kind of Lost meets The Sopranos (because of the therapy angle) meets CSI (there's a procedural element, as he works murder cases each week).

Here's Sepinwall's review for a bit more detail:

2. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

It's definitely weird, but I like it. Fez as a cop though? That would be my only complaint. A bit mindbending, but I think it has promise.
  3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Haven't caught the second episode yet, but the pilot was along the best I had ever seen. Isaacs is superb, the direction is good and the story compelling and thoughtful. I'm a fan.
  4. SFIND

SFIND Active Member

This is a fantastic show. I'm hooked as well. I've been trying to figure out which is real (or if either are). Last's night ending was very interesting, but I won't ruin it for Illinoisan.

They've done a good job at keeping the realities separate and easy to follow.
  5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Wow, I'm surprised by the good reviews here because the premise is so God-awful I ruled out even giving it a second of my time.
  6. NDub

NDub Guest

I've watched both episodes and enjoyed both. Count me in for now.
  7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I watched the first episode but feel like i need to watch it again before I tackle Ep 2.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The thing I found most interesting about the second ep was that there were scenes that Isaacs' character wasn't involved in at all - in both worlds. I don't know what that means, just that it's interesting.
  9. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Didn't like the "conspiracy" that arose near the end of episode 2, with the woman from ER talking about the staging of the car accident. To me, this undermines the premise, which is entertaining enough without it being the result of some kind of manipulation. I fear some sort of eventual resolution in the style of "Life on Mars," where the guy turned out to have experienced the whole thing subconsciously, while on a long-term space flight.
  10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, I didn't care for that, either.

I'm beginning to think the cop died in the wreck or is in a coma, and all this is subconscious.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Figure at some point they'll have to turn the show on its axis. If the "conspiracy" is real, he'll have to unravel it. I just don't see a second season of the two worlds. The audience is going to want to know that there is a point to the show.
  12. SFIND

SFIND Active Member

The original BBC Life on Mars had a much better ending IMO. Didn't care for ABC's "Guess what? They're alll spaceman going to Mars!".
Draft saved Draft deleted