1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC to send Conan packing? WTF?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Jun 19, 2007.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I know you said this as a joke (I think), but it still kind of offends me (as a Jewish person). Just to let you know.

Also, I read this article .... doesn't seem like there's much meat to it other than a bunch of speculation.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And the Masturbating Bear?

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

It didn't matter whether he was right or not, then or now. It was a stupid thing to say. It's like writing a column on Sept. 12 about the shoddy quality of American steel (to make up an example.)

It wasn't about right or wrong, it was about dumb. He was dumb, and it got him fired, and at the time pretty much everyone agreed.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm pretty certain that Stewart's current Comedy Central contract is for $5 million a year. I remember at the time thinking that was pretty low, considering how much status he gives the network. Still, meeting with Zucker with his agent (and getting it in all of the papers) isn't an accident. I'm sure he's just trying to get the ball rolling on a new contract. The speculation that NBC would pay Conan $40 mil to walk away is just asinine. So of course it makes sense for NBC. FOX would be stupid to not jump in and steal Conan for 11 p.m. if he is cut loose by NBC.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The network that axed Freaks and Geeks after 1 season.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Anything... and I mean anything that gets people properly offended about the murderous ravens at 1600 right now... well that's OK by me.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I can't stand Leno. You're right -- he runs the NBC gameplan, or reads from the NBC script, and it's sickeningly obvious. He show is the most tame, tired, "safe" and boring shtick I've ever seen.

That said, I'm at heart more of a Letterman fan, and I have a hard time getting through some of his stuff as well. Anymore he looks like he needs a couple Red Bulls ... or some speed or something. When he looks like he cares, he's the best, but he hasn't looked like that recently.

I also like Conan, but one thing that's sort of funny/frustrating, he isn't much of an interviewer and seems constantly more enamored with his own comments than those of a guest. He doesn't just direct an interview, he dominates it from the opening word. Sometimes it works, often it doesn't.

And a final point about Stewart, I know he feels he can get away with more and stray a little further from the facts (for value both comedic and political) because he's on Comedy Central ... didn't he say on Crossfire that he could get away with it because "talking puppets are my lead in..." That could well change on a real network. You wouldn't have Crank Yankers anymore to point to, you'd have the nightly news. Just his being on Comedy Central gives him a layer of protection that he might be uncomfortable without.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Is there anything they can't piss away?

I don't think there's a bigger Conan fan on the board than me. Yeah, he's not perfect, but that's his charm. And sure, his humor is sophomoric. Again: That's the charm. It's 1 am. I don't need to be challenged at 1 am.

I think a move to 11:30 would be a natural progression. Let's face it: A lot of us are getting to the age where we're becoming the people NBC wants to get at 11:30. And our tastes in humor are a little bit different than the bluehairs who have been the Tonight Show's target audience for decades. I think he could work at 11:30.

Stewart, on the other hand, might be too topical for that hour. And, as others have noted, he's got pretty much the perfect scenario at Comedy. I understand why he'd want to move--who wouldn't want the Tonight Show?--but I can't see that ending well for him.

Oh, and Jay Leno works hard? That makes him even sadder, because he is not. funny. at. all.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Isn't the elephant in the room that Colbert is much funnier than Stewart.

Stewart reminds me a little of a comedy Parcells... is he really anything with out his Belichick (Carell, Colbert, Corddry, Bee, Oliver)?

10. Simon_Cowbell

I mean, and I assume that he uncovers the correspondents, Stewart deserves big credit in the talent evaluation/casting realm, I just don't know if HE is really that funny.

Great writer, but he mugs it up a bit too much for me.

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

God I miss that show :D

Conan>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Leno

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The reason Leno isn't funny is fairly simple:

In a post-modern world, there is no more "safe" funny. It's worse to be cliche than just about anything.

A comedian that never takes any risks -- whether it be the risk that something flat out sucks or the risk that if might offend people -- they simply aren't funny.

Put another way, you can be cheesy and funny as long as you bomb some and hit some out of the park. That's why Jon Stewart can get away with mopping his brow with his tie and a bunch of other cheesy affectations and still be funny. He isn't afraid to piss people off and he isn't afraid to do a sketch that might bomb.

But if you package cheesy and toe the company line, people under 60 will not think you are funny.

I hope that made a modicum of sense...

Draft saved Draft deleted