1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC to send Conan packing? WTF?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I think you misspelled "volunteer."

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

So you go all copy editor on people's asses even when you aren't drunk?

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yeah, those Northern Alliance folks were volunteer, all right.

4. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

dead on Zeke....thats exactly what his point was.

5. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Except that at the time Maher made his unbelievably offensive comments, American soldiers were at risk. They were volunteers.

6. boots

boots New Member

BRING BACK ARSENIO HALL!!!!!

7. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Kimmel's the best at 11:30, without question, amongst the big three networks.

I fear the inevitable, when Jon and or Conan take that long walk to the 11:30 time slot. The shark will jump b/c of advertisers and their pressures alone.

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Never understood the love for Conan. I mean, he's alright and definitely funnier than Leno, but most of his stuff is just nonsense. Stay, go -- who gives a shit?

Now, Stewart to NBC is interesting. And if NBC is making the pitch, I'm betting they're offering something that would make Stewart pay attention. I'm guessing a salary and a piece of the show. Plus, he'd still retain ownership of Colbert's program.

CC might recognize that it's got a good thing in Stewart and might be paying him a good deal of money for a cable program, but cable money ain't network money. Never has been, never will be. Perfect example: The Sopranos. After raises, the main players were hauling in around $600k per episode. And Gandolfini had to sue to get that much. The last year of Friends, all six cast members were making at least $1 million per show and they had been making at least $800k per show for the previous three seasons. Hell, they offered Seinfeld $5 million per episode.

Stewart might be getting paid handsomely, but I'm betting there are ways to up his pay and the pay of those around him -- especially the pay of those around him -- and make it very, very attractive to him. If it's a long-term deal, like 10 to 15 years, and an agreement over content and style (one that basically says NBC will leave him the hell alone), that's tough to turn down.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Conan rules! That is all.

10. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Why the general lack of love here for Leno? He's a working stiff in much the same way a lot of us are -- no pinch-hitters and very little vacation time for him. His monlogues average 11 minutes, which is longer than anyone else, and though a lot of the comedy bits fall flat, Letterman and Conan also bomb fairly regularly.

Leno is running the NBC game plan exactly the way they want (and need) it run. His demographics skew old, but that's only a potential problem in prime time. He owns the older age group in that time slot, which makes a ton of money for the network.

I don't think Letterman changed his act quite enough in the move from 12:30 to 11:30, though he did make some fixes to broaden the audience. I really have trouble imagining Conan making a successful transition to 11:30 with his current schtick -- he won't be bringing a large enough audience of his own, nor will he retain Leno's audience -- and I don't see him succeeding in an effort to go more mainstream.

I rarely watch Jon Stewart, but I think he has a better chance to do well at 11:30 than Conan does.

No matter what, though, NBC screwed by by committing to Conan for 11:30 so soon.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

Maybe Conan can go back and write for The Simpsons again. I believe he wrote the monorail episode, which is a classic.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

They were volunteers. Your point? How many American troops besides special ops were involved in ground combat in Afghanistan? Our guys on the ground pretty much made milk and cookies for everyone, and they left the heavy lifting to the bomber pilots and anti-Taliban militias.

Maher's general point wasn't as off-base as the right-wing cabal would lead you to believe.

Draft saved Draft deleted