1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC to send Conan packing? WTF?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think he's making $9 million in salary to do TDS... I'll bet he almost doubles that by owning Colbert's show... If I'm not mistaken, Leno makes $16 mil.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

1. It won't happen before Heil Hitler leaves the White House in January 2009.
    2. Sponsors would jump ship the first time he offended someone.
    3. Comedy Central also gets carriage fees from the cable companies, so that offsets the need to rake in big advertising bucks. And they're putting out so many ancillary Daily Show products to cash in, too.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Why not? Make it a cross between what the Daily Show is and what Politically Incorrect was, you might have something. Like I said, not a dominating show, but something respectable in the ratings.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And Maher got run off TV by the righties.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Maher got run off because he called this country cowardly when we had just entered a war.
    Not smart and what he said was wrong, too.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Somehow I doubt NBC scraps The Tonight Show format... After all, if Leno can average six million viewers a night they know just about anyone can do it...

Stewart is probably too edgy for the blue-hairs who watch that show... The same can be said about Conan as well...

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

To quibble, he didn't call the country cowardly. He asked how cowardly we were compared to dudes who -- despicably -- flew planes into skyscapers.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Good point. But it's still wrong, and he got blasted from both sides, if I remember correctly and rightfully so.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This makes sense to me. Basically, whatever decision would make the most sense, NBC will avoid.

At least they re-upped FNL...

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I don't think his point was too off key, to be honest. Here we were asking a proxy army to fight our battles for us, while the dudes who wanted the killing done at least did it themselves.

That being said, it wasn't done in the most tactful manner.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

I don't like Maher because I think he takes the unpopular view just to do it.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I don't want the thread to veer off onto Maher, but, yeah, his point was that off all the terrible things the hijackers were, they were not cowards. They died for what they believed. He wondered aloud how many Americans would do the same.

That said, I agree with everyone who has said that he took a shitty tack to make the point. And, I agree with markvid that he takes the unpopular view just to stir shit. We just disagree about how much value that's worth. And that's OK.

Draft saved Draft deleted