1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC to send Conan packing? WTF?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Jun 19, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

I disagree, Wicked.
    NBC is in such bad shape anti-establishment may be what they need.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And as others said, there's the cable-vs.-broadcast factor, too, even though the gloves are off a little more at 11:30 on NBC than at most times on network TV.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And he gets viewed as a sell-out by his fans.

It would bomb.

Does anyone remember the three-month Stewart experiment post-Arsenio?

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I never saw that much greatness in Conan.

Best thing that's happened for him is that he's gotten better guests in the last few years.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

It died because it was a watered-down version of him. I'm gonna agree to disagree with you on this one. I think if NBC lets him be what he is now, it doesn't do gangbusters, but it doesn't bomb.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

People forget that Leno makes about half of what Letterman does... Between The Daily Show and executive producing Colbert's show, Stewart might make close to what Leno does...

The rumor for some time has been Conan to 11:30 and Jimmy Fallon to 12:30... Anything that gets Leno off the air is an improvement...

7. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I hear Stephen Colbert is to replace Rosie O'Donnell on The View.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Well, he's already doing a parody...

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I don't see Jon Stewart leaving Comedy Central.

Hell, he gets better guests than the other shows now. He played the game backward and won. Why would he go do Shecky-style standup for the mush-heads who watch Leno's show?

And, as Mizzou said, he has to be making coin.

10. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

My guess is that Stewart doesn't make nearly as much as he would command elsewhere. I'm just basing this on the advertisements. They do a lot of self-promotional stuff and a lot of oddball stuff.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

But maybe NBC doesn't want standup? Maybe they want him to do the Daily Show there.
    We can only hope.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

mark --

Could he do more than a half-hour a night? Four nights a week? I don't know, and your suggestion of TDS on NBC actually intrigues me...

Draft saved Draft deleted