1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC Setting Olympics Ratings Records (30% above network expectations)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Jul 29, 2012.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Re: Top 10 Patriotic Sports Towns (NBC Ratings up 8% from live coverage)

No, it doesn't, because (a) the ad rates in prime time are different from the ad rates in other dayparts, so even if everyone records an event at noon and watches it that evening it screws NBC, and (b) ratings with DVRs are a massive pain in the ass -- you have to watch the show within a designated time frame, and the numbers all end up in sort of a subclass of the Neilsen ratings, and (c) DVRing the show eliminates the boost to other NBC and affiliate programming, which is a key reason why a network bids on this sort of thing in the first place.

As a viewer, DVRs are wonderful. For a broadcaster DVRs are a massive, ratings-sucking devil.

2. PCLoadLetter

So putting it online live for free is 80s thinking, and modern thinking is putting it on pay-per-view so no one will be forced to watch television on something other than the big box in their living room?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Tough shit. Change your ad rates. "We're showing this live and we're showing it to Aunt Bee in prime time." Give me some evidence the ratings will have a massive drop. U.S.-Canada hockey final in 2010. Actually shown live during the day coast to coast. HUGE rating. People will watch. But the networks are stuck in a 1980s time warp.

4. MileHigh

Why am I forced to watch "marquee" events live as they happen on the computer with no chance of replay or playback, yet I can watch a replay of equestrian, field hockey and water polo at anytime I want on the same computer, but I can't of the "marquee" events until the NBC mothership decides it for me eight hours after the fact?

5. PCLoadLetter

"Change your ad rates"? Really?

The hockey final was on a Sunday, and was in North America. Really bad comparison.

6. PCLoadLetter

Because no one gives a fuck about equestrian, field hockey and water polo. Be happy you can watch them at all. I love water polo. I grew up in a hotbed of water polo. I had friends on the Junior Olympic team. I LOVE the fact that I can watch them online. The option is not to see them at all, because those sports will get no prime time coverage at all. The audience is far too small.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Why should NBC change if there isn't a need to do so? If viewers demand live coverage on TV and won't watch in prime time, NBC would change its tune.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Because they paid tons and tons of money to do that.

And if they hadn't paid tons and tons of money, they wouldn't have brought the cameras for every event, and you wouldn't be watching it anyway.

9. MileHigh

Not at all. NBC had to be kicking and screaming to show it live coast-to-coast. It was only going to show it live in the East and Central.

10. MileHigh

F that noise. Lots of room to show everything live and give viewers the choice of what to watch, not what Uncle Roone would *think* everyone wants to watch. On tape delay. In prime time. Different era. Adjust to it.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Viewers have the choice.

Honestly, and not just here but also in the Twitterverse, but this debate is getting tiresome. Either tune in when the things are on live, or live with them being on delay. Those are the choices. They're fine choices.

Definitely deserves the #firstworldproblems hashtag.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It would be nice to have the "Red Button" like viewers in the UK have.

Draft saved Draft deleted