1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC Setting Olympics Ratings Records (30% above network expectations)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Re: Top 10 Patriotic Sports Towns (NBC Ratings up 8% from live coverage)

But why should it be an effort? In 2012 shouldn't live sporting events, especially one of this magnitude, be shown on TV live? Why do I have to search for it? And I'm sure money will and can be made one way or another.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That last part that I bolded, that's exactly my point with the newspaper analogy. "I'm sure money will and can be made one way or another" is basically the premise that destroyed the industry.

3. Roscablo

Apples and Oranges. You're really comparing showing live sporting events such as the Olympics on TV when people are almost guaranteed to be watching and thus there should be built in revenue to newspapers failing and one of the ways they went about doing that? If you want to say they are giving away the product then they should just charge for the coverage across the board, live, prime time, whatever.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Compared to the Olympics those events do not get big ratings. Actually, they don't get big ratings compared to run-of-the-mill prime time TV. Outside of the NFL, sports really doesn't do much ratings-wise.

ESPN paid an estimated $400 million for the next 12 Wimbledons. NBC paid $4.38 billion for the next 4 Olympics. They are not even remotely comparable.

ESPN didn't put up enough money for the Olympics because you can't make enough money putting the stuff on live and ignoring prime time.

With the money NBC is paying, they have to put the events on in prime time. They will not make money otherwise.

Yes. people have virtual TVs in their pockets. They can watch everything live on many of those virtual TVs. DVRs still work during the Olympics.

You just can't watch every single event precisely when you want on the exact TV you choose.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What a sense of entitlement. I want to see any event at any freakin time I want on any device I want without getting off my ass or paying a penny. Sheesh!

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

55-inch HD screen vs. 18-inch computer monitor screen. Yes, I can find it outside of here. I shouldn't have to.

7. MileHigh

Why not? Why show it live, then black it out for six, seven, eight, 10 hours? Again, putting it on DVR still counts toward the coveted ratings.

8. Roscablo

There's no doubt they can't show every single event of interest to every single person live on TV somewhere, and that's where streaming is great. If you want to watch something most don't then super. I've watched my college football team on ESPN3 plenty of times because that's as good as it gets sometimes. But when there are big events that appeal to many Americans I don't see why it can't be shown live and why that's a big sense of entitlement.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

No, they would not make money. NBC pays more than a billion dollars just for the rights to one Olympiad. NBC cannot make money if its coverage wraps up by early afternoon, with nothing but replays in prime time. It absolutely will not happen. The money is in prime time. With the money it spends for the rights, NBC has to protect that.

Everything is available live, in one form or another. It's just not on the network mothership. Again, the options are remarkable.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Agreed.

11. MileHigh

That's 1980s thinking. Put it on cable. Offer it as a modest non-boxing pay-per-view. Give people the OPTION to watch when they want. Live. Prime time. At 3 a.m. The options are not as remarkable as you say.

Yes, it's available. But for "marquee" events, it's only available live as they happen. No choice to watch a replay. Only a live buffering circle live. So, again, if you're two minutes late, too bad for you. F that noise.

12. MileHigh

And, again, people prefer to watch on their 55-inch HD screens, not their 17-inch computer monitors with a continuous buffering circle.

Draft saved Draft deleted