1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC puts Parks and Rec on hiatus

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NDJournalist, Oct 21, 2013.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No. 171? I wouldn't have guessed that many shows were rated.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

I have no idea why, but they now seem to list different ratings for shows with more than one timeslot, as "According to Jim" did in 2007-08. So the ratings went all the way to 225 for that particular year. Jim was 146th in one slot and 171st in the other.

In the show's final season, it had four different timeslots, so it had four different ratings - 104, 127, 148 and 149 out of 190.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/According_to_Jim#U.S._television_ratings

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It wasn't horrible the first couple seasons. It wasn't good either, but it wasn't the complete embarrassment that it was the last couple seasons. It limped it's way into syndication and then ABC was reluctant to cancel it because when most shows go into syndication is when they become the most profitable.

I'm guessing ABC made a fortune off According to Jim. That still doesn't make it a decent show or something anything close to what Parks and Rec is...

4. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Speaking of a ABC shows that hit syndication, how was My Wife and Kids perceived when it was on ABC? I enjoyed the show but I can see how many might not have. a ABC back then was the shit. Hope and Faith, an otherwise terrible show, launched Megan Fox's career. 8 Simple Rules, a great show, launched Kaley Cuoco's and propelled John Ritter's until his death and revived David Spade's career after Ritter's death.

5. Mizzougrad96

I'm not sure I'd say it "revived" Spade's career. His movie career has always been pretty awful, but he does pretty well in supporting roles on TV. He has three shows in syndication. Nobody is going to mistake him for Ted Danson, but that's pretty impressive.

I loved 8 Simple Rules. Loved it with Ritter, Loved it with Spade and Garner.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I can never see too much of Courtney Thorne-Smith.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Okay, I can't argue with that.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

9. Mizzougrad96

I've loved her since Summer School.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Norm rules.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I watched the first season of Parks and Rec and gave up. I thought it was terrible.

I kept hearing it got better but the show's mythology had gotten so convoluted, I'd have to go back to the start and I don't have time for that.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of the show, so obviously I'm biased, but I think you're safe just picking it up from the second season and going forward from there. The tone of the show switches completely - The first season, they make Leslie Knopp (Amy P.) look like a Steve Carrell or Tina Fey-style doofus. From the second season onward, she's still really perky but also shown to be really competent, which really helps balance the show.

Draft saved Draft deleted