1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC orders two more seasons of Friday Night Lights

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shifty Squid, Mar 31, 2009.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Isn't almost everyone at a high school game at 8 p.m. on Fridays?

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

i share your sentiments, slap. mmm-mmm, i heart me some connie. :D :D :D

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Does it really matter if no one watches this show live anyway? Aren't DVRs and DVDs making overnight ratings pointless yet?

4. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Scheduling this show in relation to when football games are played (be they high school, NFL, whatever) is crazy. No one watches FNL for the football. It's not even really about football.
    For that matter, I suspect (no proof, just a hunch) that not very many actual high school kids watch it, either. It's a totally different show than the typical WB high school soap. It's an adult-oriented show that happens to be set around high school football. So put it on at 9 or 10 on a weeknight, when adults watch television.

5. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Back to the news....

Where the heck is that smiley doing cartwheels? I'd post that 1,000 times right now.

6. BRoth

BRoth Member

I got the impression that's why the writing is better this season than last - it's more focused on the audience that watches it. It felt like they wanted to get too caught up in dating/love triangles/teenage angst last time around. If I want that, I'll switch over to 90210. Or Gossip Girl. Or any CW show.

7. Any word on cast changes/updates?

8. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

This is probably as good a place as any to ask this. I read H.G Bissinger's book a few years back and really enjoyed it. Is the show at all similar to the book? Or is it just high school football used as a premise for a regular, Dawson's Creek or O.C, style teen drama show?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The show is more similar to the movie - which took some liberties with the book. It's not a high school drama show. It's more about the town.

10. Agreed. I think it is more of a "Small town drama." Of course, it has some of the best writing and definitely the best cast on TV, so that helps.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that is so awesome. {/jerkingoffmotion}

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

haven't heard. but the casting call for new players/female supporters will be intense, don't ya think?

Draft saved Draft deleted