1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC orders two more seasons of Friday Night Lights

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shifty Squid, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I saw this was mentioned in the "NBC run" thread, but I'm guessing most of the people who watched it on DirecTV aren't looking at that thread, so I thought there were plenty of other fans who'd be interested: http://www.cinemablend.com/television/NBC-Orders-Two-More-Seasons-Of-Friday-Night-Lights-16573.html

From the story ...

Angela Bromstad, president of scripted programming at NBC, stated, “it was important to keep this beloved, quality show alive because, while we need a bigger and broader audience, it's hopefully an indication of the type of shows we want to do at NBC." With this kind of attitude NBC could bounce back in the coming seasons.

Very good to hear, for those of us who were worried that might be the end of this show's run. Whoever it was at NBC/DirecTV who came up with the idea to share the show's costs should get a promotion. That was a brilliant idea that hopefully will be used for future shows in a similar situation, like Freaks & Geeks, Arrested Development, etc.

2. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Holy shit, NBC made a smart programming decision.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And yet, a stunning one considering how they've pissed on it since inception. However, the good news is more Connie Britton!

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If NBC ever gave this show the respect it deserved, they wouldn't have to do this "split with DirecTV" crap.

If they actually aired this show at 8 p.m. on Fridays during the fall (Uh, football season...) it would do fine. It might not beat NUMB3RS or that stupid JLH show, but it would do well enough to keep on the air.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This just made my mom really happy when I called her. I don't watch it, but it's her favorite show.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've always wondered why NBC didn't put it on on Sundays after Sunday Night Football aired, I've got to think it would do okay against Cold Case and Desperate Housewives.

7. Scouter

Scouter Member

Because Sunday Night Football usually gets over about 11:30 Eastern, if not later.

8. Blair Waldorf

Blair Waldorf Member

Friday night is the KOD for any show -- if you want a show to be truly successful, put it on a night when people are most likely at home. Like Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday (except when American Idol is in season). Or run it when most big hitters are on hiatus and networks are sticking shit like Wipeout and that stupid wall show in primetime.

9. I Digress

I Digress Guest

This is great news.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm pretty sure he meant stick it in SNF's time slot once the regular season is over.

11. Scouter

Scouter Member

Well then ... that makes tad more sense. :-X

12. BRoth

BRoth Member

I'm glad that they give what I assume to be some sort of spoiler with their choice of a picture.

Draft saved Draft deleted