1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"NBC: Nothing But Caucasians"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dignan, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Dignan

Dignan Guest

This recent Imus sketch is a little ironic:

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Seriously, who evens listens to him anymore? What's his demographic? The guy just sucks.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, I don't think the guy's near as irrelevant as you do. And I'm no fan, don't listen to him. But a lot of people do.

A lot of people still listen to Rush. We just don't happen to associate with those people.

It's like dirt-track racing fans, RokSki. Just because they're not in our social circle, it doesn't mean they're not out there in force.

4. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Excellent point Shotglass.
    A lot of people on this board tend to be so narrow-minded they can't see or understand anything else. They say, "I hate it so it must be bad." That's a simplistic and somewhat arrogant conclusion to draw. That's a dangerous habit for people in the media business.
    Another analogy? I don't happen to know any skinheads or even where they exist, but I know they're out there in significant numbers and I have to acknowledge their existence. I don't have to like them or anything they stand for, but I have to admit they're there.
    The same with fans of Rush and Imus. I don't listen to them, but somebody does - in large numbers. If no one listened to them, they wouldn't be on the air.

5. shottie --
    Unlike Rush, though, I don't see Imus having the numbers anywhere.

6. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

If numbers are already a problem for Imus, the fallout from sponsors could be the final straw. Radip is, after all, all about ratings and ads, not about serving the public or taking a stand.
    If Imus doesn't have the numbers now and stays on, it will be interesting to see what actually happens to his numbers over the next six months? Will the Rutgers debacle improve his numbers or ruin him?
    What say you Shottie? Fenian?

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Rush is among the top rated shows on radio.

In DC, Imus was tied for 25th place with a station in Fredericksburg, which is about an hour south of town. To call it a DC station is damn near laughable.

8. boots

boots New Member

Imus and his minstrel show must go. End of thread.

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

But while Imus radio show may be tied for 25th in his market, he does have a morning cable show, so obviously someone is showing him a lot of love.

10. boots

boots New Member

The minstrel show must go.

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

It's an MSNBC show so it's probably not too many someones.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Read somewhere he averages about 300,000 viewers across the country. Or an audience smaller than some of the counties in this area.

Draft saved Draft deleted