1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC flexes it Olympics muscles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Left_Coast, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Anyone here think that maybe, in 2008, the U.S. will boycott these Olympics in China? NBC obviously doesn't think so.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

On what grounds would the US boycott Beijing? Because China has loaned our government too much money (over $250 billion and counting)?

3. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Unless China invades Afghanistan, we ain't boycotting those Games.

4. Claws for Concern

All I am saying is that it is 2006. Check back when those games are closer. That's all I'm saying about that topic.

As an aside, though, members of my family went there a few months ago and the pollution in the air was absolutely horrible. I can't imagine being an athlete and competing in unhealthy conditions. Of course, Bejing has some time to clean itself up, but I'm just curious.

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Now don't be a tease. What do you foresee happening? We're obviously not going to boycott based on human-rights abuses or China's lack of a free press. The Chinese will probably be on their best behavior (or at least keeping the bad behavior well out of sight) for the next two years in order to make sure the Olympics are the perfect showcase. It doesn't make sense for them to do anything that would prompt talk of a boycott. (After the Olympics, of course, all bets are off.)

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd love it if we boycotted in 2008. It would fuck NBC and we wouldn't have to cover that shit...

It'll never happen though...

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

A few points:
    1) The US will NEVER boycott the 2008 Olympics unless China was physically bombing America.

2) Beijing's pollution is the equivalent to that of other major cities. As such, if your family normally lives out in the middle of some mid-West nowhere town, then they don't experience pollution. Those visiting from NYC view it as equivalent.

8. Claws for Concern

From California, near Los Angeles.

9. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Athletes won't care. They survived the pollution of Athens and the altitude of Mexico City. Most pro track and field athletes compete routinely in European pollution and though they are not summer sports, skaters live in arenas filled with carbon monoxide.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Then I don't understand the comment. There are more people and thus more mass transit. This will increase the pollution. However, the increase isn't that noticeable as to make anyone wonder about the athletes.

Draft saved Draft deleted