1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC fires Bud Collins

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 2, 2007.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yes, they are showing it in HD, but NBC has pretty much been last one on the bus with regard to showing tennis in HD.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

They are not showing it in HD.
    It is 16:9 widescreen, but still SD.

3. Hoopsfan23

Hoopsfan23 New Member

I guess I'm the only person who doesn't give a damn. I'm a fan of tennis and played in high school/college. But he was pretty damn annoying to me. He's still writing for the Boston Globe so the old guy is doing just fine.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I like the Vitale comparison. Both are great guys, both are annoying as hell to listen to give commentary.

5. yonaker

yonaker New Member

"NBC spokesman Brian Walker declined to comment (on the Collins firing).'' Good thing, because anything that comes out of the mouth of this slimy weasel or his NBC PR cronies is usually a load of bunk anyway. If you ever have the displeasure of dealing with this scum, run. Fast.

6. BRUST

BRUST New Member

Walker couldn't even keep his low-level job at the NHL during the 2004-05 lockout. Bud Collins has more class in the empty pocket of one his Hawaiian shirts than the entire PR staff at NBC Sports.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

As has been mentioned here, Bud at least gets to continue writing for The Boston Globe. His tennis stuff is superb.

8. boots

boots New Member

Call it changing of the guard.

9. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Call it bullshit.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Some of the many coaches fired by Bill Bidwill (Hanifan and Coryell, others I'm not sure about) might challenge that. Bidwill didn't tell them they were fired. They showed up to work and discovered the locks had been changed and their keys no longer worked.

11. boots

boots New Member

Now that WAS FUCKED UP!!!

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Par for the course at NBC.

Draft saved Draft deleted