1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC apology necessary?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ringer, Jun 20, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

Can you say smokescreen? NBC being NBC.

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

stupid-assed decision by people at NBC.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Has Christina Aguilera apologized yet?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They are also still upset with Al Pacino for "And justice for all."

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

The whole Pledge according to Congress and the Knights of Columbus? Or the whole Pledge according to the man who wrote it and couldn't consent to the changes because he was dead? I flatly reject the premise that the 1954 version is the "right" one or the "real" one just because Congress said so.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Pledgers unite.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Either that or they had to cut it to fit.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I think they should apologize for the coverage in general. One of the worst major sports broadcasts I can remember. Didn't they even go off the air once? I know their audio went down a time.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I didn't envy NBC for having to broadcast such a walkover final round of a major. Not sure what else they could have done.

The intro was stupid, but so was the apology. They couldn't handle the killing they were taking on Twitter.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I can't figure out why someone at NBC thought the Pledge of Allegiance was appropriate to use as a lead-in to golf coverage. So the golf course was 10 or 12 miles from the White House; so what?

11. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

The idea of a pledge of allegiance is naive (as if saying a few words with your hand on your heart is going to create loyalty) and a bit paranoid (as if not saying a pledge will make you subversive). And if you are going to have one, it should be along the lines of the Mark Twain quote (I paraphrase):" Loyalty to my country, always. Loyalty to my government, when it deserves it."

That said, if you think the pledge is unnecessary and/or archaic, like I do, don't use it in a feature (unless the feature specifically involves the pledge). If you think the use of the name of a higher power is offensive in the pledge, don't use the pledge at all. And if the feature needs to have the pledge in it because the pledge is central to the story, run the damn thing as is because if it is central to the story telling then it ceases to be a political or social statement by the story teller and it becomes part of the fabric of the story.

So now the context changes anyway.

Nobody said the networks were smart. Except the networks.

12. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

I pledge allegiance to the foot wedge. NBC should have used that.

Draft saved Draft deleted