1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC apology necessary?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ringer, Jun 20, 2011.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Always wondered why people don't get pissed when the President ends an address with "God bless the United States."

2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Great point, chief.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Isn't it scary to think we are feeling like we have to be so politically correct as to do something like this?

It was a stupid act to take the words out, and it was a stupid, worthless apology, but...I'm guessing NBC didn't want to look even more stupid by actually admitting and explaining that, yes, we did it in the name of the height of political correctness.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yep.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Imagine if the Texas Pledge of Allegiance was altered. There wouldn't be an NBC affliate left in the state.

6. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

NBC should apologize only if the 1954 Congress apologizes for adding it in the first place.

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

You beat me to it. That's what I noticed. And they repeated some others. In short, they did what TV usually does in an editing room (and I've been in them), slicing and dicing to make something fit.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

::)

Anyhoo, I detest the virtual veneration of the Anthem and the Pledge. But if you're going to air 'em, air 'em the way they were performed, word for word.

9. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Exactly. Pretty much all this did was give the manufactured outrage crowd something else to get their knickers in a twist over.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

We all know that in Obama's case, it's to confuse those who think he's Mooslim.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No, your point IS irrelevant to this discussion. We're talking about whether the words should have been omitted.

"Under God" is in the Pledge. If you're going to use the whole Pledge then use the whole Pledge.

12. printdust

printdust New Member

The rationale, whether they admit it or not, is that the decision maker is a church-state separation fanatic who wants to eradicate God from public life, even where it is meant to be....like it or not, it's part of the pledge.

Draft saved Draft deleted