1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC: Another smart move

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Jun 26, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You're punishing the show for dumb promos.

Like shockey said, it's still pretty good.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think the point is, it's still successful in the ratings, but not to the same crowd and not in the same way. It's like Days of Our Lives when Doug and Julie were the main plotline. Then it became Marlena and Roman Brady. Both versions had their devout followers, but probably not much overlap between those cohorts.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I watched an episode either this year or last where a bus was teetering over a cliff more than 100 feet high _ OUTSIDE OF CHICAGO? Now that they've run out of calamities that actually COULD occur in Chicagoland they need to invent new ones. Coming up this season a hurricane, a monsoon and a volcano

4. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

If Washington joined ER, would he be going to a better show?

At worst, a push.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I don't think it's successful even by the watered-down standards of modern TV ratings. It averaged an 11.5 this year. Five years ago, it was averaging a 20. It must be lil' Chuckie Taylor's favorite show! Had the show not been locked up long-term, it would have been ditched years ago. That has got to be one expensive show to produce. It's too popular to give it the Drew Carey treatment, but I imagine NBC wouldn't mind burning it off on Saturday nights, either.

Creatively, I just see nothing left to do for the show. There's no shame in that after nearly 300 episodes. But the melodrama used to be rationed out. Now, it's like EVERY WEEK IS A MAJOR CRISIS!!! Gets real old real quick.

but Maura does not. :D

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Funny. On the final ep of "Will and Grace," they were supposed to be 20 years in the future, watching TV. One says to the other, "I'm glad George Clooney came back to ER."

... And we've come full circle...

7. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

In one way (and maybe only one) it is very realistic, that being how it portrays life moving on. The doctors and nurses come and go, but the ER remains (and changes). Other than that, it is hard to watch (especially compared with the first couple of seasons).

Still, I stop whatever I am doing whenever the Mark Green dies in Hawaii episode is on. What a great episode for a character to go out on.

Draft saved Draft deleted