1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC announcers for at least 10 sports to be working out of New York

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Mine eyes have seen the glory, because according to this TV monitor, Michael Phelps has won another gold medal!

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

I could see archery being done as part of a package, and I suppose you could do the voice package from New York.

But having some basketball called from New York? That is shoddy. Even if it is something like France vs. Argentina, there are still NBA players involved. I can't help but feel the decision would be different if NBC still did the NBA.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

But again -- why do you care as long as they're not lying to you?
    Isn't it better that NBC puts Argentina vs. Russia on TV (France didn't make it!) than what we had in the past, when you had no chance whatsoever to see that game?

4. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

They announce off TV here all the time, on the French-language sports network, for major events like bbl playoffs, major golf tournaments and Grand Slam tennis.
    Far beyond their budget to send people.
    They do a good job.
    The announcers never leave their booth anyway. Although I'm sure they'll miss the expense account dinners and the free trip.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Speed has done F1 off monitors for years, and for my money, that's the best broadcast team on TV at present. I'm sure it would be better if they were there, but it doesn't detract from the event or their ability to call it.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

NBC should consult with Lupica. He pioneered this type of coverage.

Draft saved Draft deleted