1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC announcers for at least 10 sports to be working out of New York

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Point taken, Poin.

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

What about, say, trap shooting will NBC be missing by not having someone right there? I'm sure the IOC will provide the laughing dog for each round. :D

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Well-put . . . and true, of course.

The sports junkie will watch.

They need to suck in the soccer moms . . . the bane of human existance.

You couldn't pay me enough to watch this crap, excepting politically-awkward moments which will be the highlights of this fiasco.

4. danhawks

danhawks Member

Consider the fact that for years NBC has been taking the World Feed for a lot of sports, chopping it up and voicing highlight segments from an audio booth in the host city, keeping the same folks in NYC doesn't sound like it will impact the quality of the broadcasts much at all. Keep in mind, most of the people working for NBC, ESPN, CBS, etc. when not on a clear news show, are just packaging entertainment in a way that will attract the most viewers. They're not looking for controversy.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Since there was a gas leak scare at the IBC today, maybe NBC should consider keeping everybody at home.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sure. That's what THEY want you to think...

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Minus the telltale lack of a tubercular cough from the announcers who stay home.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well ..... no one from Singleton's cluster of newspapers in SoCal is going to Beijing.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Just because some idiot network has done this before doesn't make it acceptable.

The whole idea is fraudulent, a sham. Someone said it previously: Yep, the next step is for Miss or Mr. Sportswriter to skip the travel entirely and cover games from the comfort of their home or office.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The fact that we're discussing the proriety of network behavior is hilarious in and of itself.

Remember, Frank Gifford and Bob Beatty 'called' Franz Klammer's miracle downhill win at Innsbruck in 1976 on tape hours after it was run.

Tell me again, who's calling the finals of the tank sprint at Tianenmen Square?

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Actually, I don't think any of the World Cup announcers were not in Germany.
    But ESPN always has called Champions League off monitors.
    I don't have a problem with this if it means I get to see more sports on TV (and it doesn't hurt that calling games off monitors means NO DISTRACTING AND INTRUSIVE SIDELINE REPORTING!!)
    The only problem is if the announcers pretend to be at the event. Then it's a lie.

12. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

O'Brien and Balboa were on site in Germany, and maybe another announcing duo was, too, but I believe some of the announcers were back in Bristol.

Draft saved Draft deleted