1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC announcers for at least 10 sports to be working out of New York

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Jul 21, 2008.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

This according to a Chicago Tribune report:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-20-nbc-greensteinjul20,0,4492220.story

NBC claims the IOC mandated this, but the Tribune couldn't get a comment from the IOC:

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's weak. I'd refuse to write a story off TV. Think any announcers will refuse to call the action off TV?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

C'mon Ace, it's NBC ... home of plausibly live.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Not a surprise at all to me. I guess that means less equipment that won't be lost.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Bingo. Plausibly live sports described from NY. Shown 10 hours after the fact. Makes perfect sense for the asshats at NBC sports.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Wow, they're going to do some basketball games by remote.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

knowing the answer before I say this, but the IOC needed to say "NBC is our largest TV partner. They can send all the announcers they want."
    Anything less than that response is weak on the part of the IOC AND NBC.
    Strain on a host city of 17 million people by leaving 10 announcers home? Jeebus Keyrist...

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

So which of the 10 sports will consist of 70% feature stories sugary-sweet enough to make my teeth rot?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Actually this doesn't surprise me. ABC/ESPN has been doing this with soccer since at least the 2002 World Cup. And other countries' network rightsholders do the same thing during the Olympics.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It can work if everything goes right, but you have a riot in the stands, someone badly injured, a serious weather issue and you're screwed.

12. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Maybe NBC is the one who wants to send fewer announcers and broadcast teams over there, and they want their public statements to come off sounding like they're doing the host city a favor.

Including air fare, hotel, meals, etc., I would imagine it costs at least US$5,000 per person to send one of their employees to Beijing for those two weeks, plus a week or so of prep time beforehand. You cut out 10 announcing pairs plus a producer for each of those teams, that's US$150,000 saved.

And before you say that's ludicrous, let's remember that CBS didn't send their studio analysts on site for either their NFL conference Championship Game or the Final Four this year, two things they've ALWAYS done.

Draft saved Draft deleted