1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA writers hoop it up, sweat, labor

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Small Town Guy, Nov 16, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I played once at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, student media vs. the PR staff. It was always a delicate thing, getting that game scheduled during hoops season. Had to be fit around the mens/womens practice schedules, obviously, but also couldn't be the day after an IU loss or anytime there was even a chance of Knight being in the building. He wasn't a fan of writers playing on his court--imagine that!

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

It's an annual thing. I injure myself playing pick-up basketball in February or so, then I decide I'm done playing. I get over the injury. Basketball season's over by then so I get back into the routine of lifting and running, get in good shape.

Then basketball season comes again. I go out to the arena, watch some 19- and 20-year-olds hit some jump shots and throw down a few dunks, and decide this is the year I'm going to re-invent my game from being an undersized, 6-2 power forward who can no longer get his toes off the ground to being a catch-and-shoot two. I replace treadmill time with jump shot time. I start checking for when/where the pick-up games.

I pursue that goal until I get hurt again and go back into retirement until next year...

Proud to say I haven't taken a jump shot yet this year. But the team I cover has only played three games ...

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

There's nothing I love more about my job than covering basketball in the winter. I look forward to it every single year.

4. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

This is my 21st season covering the NBA, and I would never consider playing in a pickup game with other media members. I just think that is totally inapp... no, wait. Wrong discussion. I don't play because I'm the worst basketball player on Earth.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I loved playing, but I remember the day I decided to retire.
    I read an article in a newspaper about a guy going through an ACL rehab and all the time it took, etc. And I realized that could be me. He'd blown his knee playing pickup hoops. It dawned on me that I did not have the time to be rehabbing an injury like that. My job would not allow all that crap. Last pickup game I ever played was at the Knoxville Y during the 1994 NCAA South Regional.
    Now, all my excercise is treadmill, elliptical, etc. I realize I'm not completely immune from injury doing that, but it feels safer to know I'm always moving in a straight line.

Draft saved Draft deleted