1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA writer caught double-dipping

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 18, 2008.

1. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Not surprised the editor(s) handled the matter in that way.

Same way in our shop with a particular reporter. Lazy whiner who is allowed to skate for weeks at a time doing little else but eating and cashing checks.

This person is allowed a walk while others are too often forced to pick up the slack. And then editors get pissy if you complain.

Ridiculous.

2. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

PD is a guild paper. Are there any union rules that would have protected Wright from getting outright fired in this case? It's always been my understanding that you pretty much have to bludgeon the publisher over the head with a shovel in front of the editorial board in order to get fired from a guild job, but I could very well be wrong on all this.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

That's fine. Then you put the screw-up back on a preps beat where the workload is extreme but the glory is scarce. Or you have him work the desk, unless you're reluctant to punish the night crew that way.

Used to joke with a friend that, if our egos could handle it, one of the best things that can happen to you in this business is to get in a boss's doghouse. Generally the boss would rather ignore you, which includes not requiring much work or offering much in terms of evaluation, and you really get to skate.

Sure, someone might target you for a layoff or a buyout, but at a Guild joint, making that happen w/o regard for seniority would be as tough as firing you outright for cause.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, a textbook example of what can be wrong when considering the few more negative effects of diversity efforts.

What management doesn't want to deal with? What BS. Dealing with staff issues is, or should be, part and parcel of being a manager, especially if somebody want to be a good one.

Get a reporter in there who actually wants to do that job. It's not like there aren't any out there right now.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I may not ever write for the Plain-Dealer, but I can string like hell for the Washington Times, dammit!

6. hpdrifter

hpdrifter Member

I'm good enough to cheat the Plain-Dealer.

7. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

I challenge one of the moderators to shut this discussion down. You guys are taking the word of a rag weekly newspaper in Cleveland as gospel. That story is way off. Branson did not get into trouble for stringing that night. He was off. Last I checked, you can do what the hell you want to do on your night off. But that isn't really the point. I'm bothered by uninformed discussions like this and how this could be swaying the next potential employer. I'm sure many of you posters have been demoted or in the case of many of you, you've probably never made it out of your Podunk newspaper beginning. Believe it or not, people can sometimes lose a beat because of personality conflicts with his/her boss. Nothing more or less.

Again, I challenge the moderator to shut down this discussion because it's not close true. The guy is going through enough as it is. If you don't have a heart, at least have the desire to be accurate.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I challenge you to tell us what happened. The Scene was not the first to say Branson lost his beat because he double-dipped. Another poster said it on another thread long ago.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Scoop,

TSP asks a fair question: What specifically is wrong with the story? It's like the O'Leary/Sentinel thread. How can we be certain there is an error if we don't know what it is?

10. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

The thing is it's none of our business. How about that?

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Didn't President Nixon say something like that to Woodstein?

Wrong then (if he did) and wrong now.

The ethics of our business is our business, especially now in these troubled times. Newspapers have to pay attention to what Jayson Blair is doing in New York, and they have to pay attention to what a Cavs beat writer is doing in Cleveland if it's not honest, not straight-forward. Got to pay attention to what their bosses do about it, too.

We all own a share of the public trust that journalism requires.

From what I hear of the situation, SE there fiddled while Rome burned for years, until finally making this move.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Not even close to good enough -- it was written about, thus it was made public, it is a story about a writer facing an ethical issue that many of us have faced -- and likely decided to do the right thing - so it is more than fair game to discuss on a message board for journalists, particularly since the discussion has really for the most part moved passed Branson Wright and is now a more general discussion about the proper way to "double dip" or "freelance"

Draft saved Draft deleted