1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA writer caught double-dipping

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 18, 2008.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Ace would have done better.

That's all I have.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

how the hell did this guy not lose his job?

3. And he went through all that just to string a gamer for the Washington Times??? What did that gig get him, $20?

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

He wanted to get in good with the Moonies.

I'm guessing, just guessing, his thought process was, "I'll get my stuff on the new players before the game, file that first and do a quick gamer and no one's the wiser." Smart move.

I've double dipped (though i wasn't full-time for either so there was no conflict, i didn't get a byline for one, and i told both employers i was doing so) and it's not easy.

5. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

These are the types of stunts pulled by people who have no fear of being fired.

6. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

I'm guessing many in our profession disagree on the rules here. Last season I did some stringing on my beat and when I told the out of town paper's editor I'd need to get permission first, he replied, "Oh really?" You'd think it's at least common courtesy to ask first, and at worst a violation of company policy if you don't.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Gotta get permission first. Your first loyalty is to who is signing your paycheck (even if they aren't necessarily loyal to you). As for the out of town editor replying "oh really," that says all you need to know about their ethics.

8. onebigfella

onebigfella New Member

Much worse than stringing for Washington Times was on Feb. 21 - the day of the 11-person trade - he was off and let Mary Schmitt Boyer do all the trade stories. Wouldn't the beat guy want to do that story? Branson was taken off the beat a few days after the season ended. His byline has yet to surface.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

In the writer's defense (oh God), he can get what he needs from the fresh faces before the game and be done with his story before tipoff, thus freeing him up to "string."

However ... the point remains, he should have asked permission from his superiors. No question.

10. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I can't believe no one has weighed in yet on the man's worthiness to work for the Plain-Dealer.

You guys are slipping.

11. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

My only qualm -- I don't think I'd ever consider covering an NBA beat a "plush" job.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I disagree. Very bad form, on the same night that you have a backup person handling game duties, for you to string for some other newspaper. If you're free and clear to handle game duties, handle them for your employer and let your backup pick up $125 or whatever.

And if he had asked, I would like to think that someone there would have had balls enough to tell him, "No f---in' way." That would require someone with balls enough to fire or demote the guy, rather than make him the sports dept. blogger. (For someone as lazy as this guy, that is a reward -- sit on your ass and compile and comment on others' work.)

Draft saved Draft deleted