1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA writer caught double-dipping

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

(Did I miss a thread about this?)

Cleveland PD's lead NBA writer demoted for double-dipping on company time ...

http://www.clevescene.com/2008-07-16/news/why-branson-wright-got-demoted-and-more/2

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This was mentioned on another thread, and I think a couple people, myself included, attacked the poster since I think it was his first post that said the Cavs guy was canned for stringing for another paper.

I've now seen this in multiple places. So there must be something to it.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

The beat writer stringing without checking with his editor? And it's not like the P-D doesn't pay well: Relative to its cost of living, Cleveland's writers and editors do OK. He's lucky he wasn't fired.

4. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

In today's job climate, he's damn lucky he wasn't fired.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

All he had to do was ask. I've strung for the out-of-town paper before, but there were rules:
    1) I ask if I can.
    2) I write the story for our paper first, the write the other.
    3) I write the story for the other paper from the road team's perspective.
    4) I try and use different quotes in both.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I don't like No. 4 on that list, Pete. If it's the best quote, it's the best quote.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

No, asking would have been wrong, too. They had his backup there to cover the game for the Plain Dealer so this guy could work on something else -- for the Plain Dealer. If he was going to handle game coverage, he should have been handling it for his paper.

No self-respecting NBA/NHL primary beat person would stringer for an out-of-town paper while letting his own paper go with a backup. It should be the other way around -- or better yet, to a preps writer at the P-D getting thrown a little bone.

Guy should have been whacked rather than given even easier duty (general sports blogger).

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Good point Joe. I forgot about the "PD supplied a person to write gamer" aspect.

9. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

Is this guy as bad as the clevescene.com piece thinks?

And what does covering the "fresh faces" mean?

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm thinking it means he was supposed to write a story on the new guys acquired in the trade.

11. Colton

Colton Active Member

Stone: Yes, he is.

12. Man, there's going to be no lack of conversation starters for a college class about sports journalism ethics, is there?

Draft saved Draft deleted