1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA suspends referee Joey Crawford

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

John Clougherty belongs right up there with TV Ted.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

I have a vote for Ed Hightower.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Nobody tops the retired Dick Paparo, who one writer called a "posturing peacock."

Joe West, by the way, was a quarterback at Elon.

4. IU90

IU90 Member

"Posturing peacock" would pretty accurately describe Teddy Valentine's act as well.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

OK, sorry, but I missed it: What exactly did Duncan do?

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

He was accused of mocking Crawford when he laughed while on the bench. He also called Crawford a piece of shit after being ejected.

7. NDub

NDub Guest

The first T was probably warranted. The second? Hells no.

Crawford has a fiesty attitude. Duncan is an incessant whiner. Yes, NBA guys are whiners. But Duncan is one of the worst. Perhaps it looks even worse because he's so blah on the court and in interviews. But does anyone see how his eyes get real big with concern, a "what the fuck did I do?" look crosses his face and he holds his million-foot wingspan out for an entire trip back up the court because he wants a call? It's annoying. And it happens at least a few times EVERY GAME. Crawford was probably tired of it, as he's officiated Timmay for 10 years now, and just snapped. But Crawford is a still a d-bag for being T-happy.

8. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I think the lack of a smile on Stern's face was due to the realization that by disciplining Crawford (even though it had to be done), it gave credence to what Mark Cuban has been ranting and raving about for years: the incompetence and agendas of NBA referees.

Crawford is a world class jerk, more like a petulant child than a level-headed steward of the game. This meltdown reminded me of that scene in Forget Paris when Billy Crystal's character, an NBA ref, went bananas and started issuing T's and ejections left and right.

The problem with basketball at all levels is how much impact the referees can have on a game. The inconsistency is maddening sometimes. Why is it that, because the refs want to call a 'tight game,' they deny the viewing public to see what could have been one of the best battles of big men in college in the Final Four in many a moon? Swallow the whistle and quit calling every damned, silly little thing. Let the players play the game. In defense of the refs, I definitely couldn't do what they do, making spot judgements in a miliseconds for two hours or more at a time. But they should realize that folks are there to see the athletes, not see them blast their whistles every two seconds.

Draft saved Draft deleted