1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA suspends referee Joey Crawford

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Apr 17, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Joey Crawford lost his damned mind a long time ago. He seems to go into every game looking for somebody to T up or toss so he can prove how tough he is.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I thought for sure he wouldn't draw any Spurs games for the rest of the season, but this is a shock. Maybe after the new balls, the dress code and the crackdown on whining, this was Stern way of telling the players that they won't be the only target when it comes to behavior in the league.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They should have ordered Duncan to take Crawford up on his offer.

There are about a dozen NBA refs they need to get rid of on grounds of general incompetence.

Like Bavetta, who's been a dumbass for 25 years.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

As big a critic as I've been about the NBA Star System and the way David Stern covertly backs it, I have just one thing to say: Bravo.

I'm biased because I've always liked the guy and the way he handles himself on and off the court, but if the NBA had more guys like Tim Duncan, it would be a much better league. Not as flashy, sure, but better. Duncan was making no comment any stronger than anyone else on the bench makes when they don't agree with a call.

Joey Crawford's ego - for some mysterious reason - was hurt and he took it out on Duncan. Challenging him to a fight, no matter the context, was stupidity beyond normal human comprehension.

Usually, rulings like this let the inmates feel they can run the asylum, but this is an obvious exception.

6. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Agreed with everyone here: That ejection was pure bullshit. Glad that POS got what was coming to him.

7. boots

boots New Member

dick bavetta is good for the game. Keep him.

8. boots

boots New Member

"Joey Crawford's handling of this situation failed to meet the standards of professionalism and game management we expect of NBA referees," said Stern. "Especially in light of similar prior acts by this official, a significant suspension is warranted. Although Joey is consistently rated as one of our top referees, he must be held accountable for his actions on the floor, and we will have further discussions with him following the season to be sure he understands his responsibilities."

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Translation:

Yeah, he might be a good official but he can't keep going psycho on players to prove that he's a tough guy.

10. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Crawford has been out of control for years. Agree with spnited, he goes into every game looking for trouble. This should have happened a long time ago.

11. This is the case with too damn many referee/umpire crews in all sports, but especially basketball and baseball. Don;t get me started on college basketball referees who mile every damn call on television.

12. Reminds me of a high school teacher who after years and years of putting up with punk kids and not being able to do anything about it, finally snaps and freaks out on a kid less likely to yell back. No way does Crawford challenge Ron Artest or Rasheed Wallace to a fight. He's bitter and wound way too tight...not a good combination. I think having a longer summer break than usual will be benefitial to him in the long run...

Draft saved Draft deleted