1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA/rising college/foreign player would you want for the next five years...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, May 17, 2010.

?

You have your pick of any basketball player in the world for the next five seasons. Who do you take?

1. LeBron James

51.7%
  2. Kevin Durant

25.9%
  3. Chris Paul

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Deron Williams

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Kobe Bryant

1.7%
  6. Dwyane Wade

3.4%
  7. Dirk Nowitzki

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Ricky Rubio

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Rajon Rondo

1.7%
  10. John Wall

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Carmello Anthony

1.7%
  12. Dwight Howard

6.9%
  13. Derrick Rose

1.7%
  14. Yao Ming

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Chris Bosh

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Brandon Jennings

3.4%
  17. Tyreke Evans

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Other

1.7%
  1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm curious to see just how far LeBron's stock has dropped.

If you can think of a player I have forgotten, vote other and let me know who that person is. Please, no bitching about idiots taking Jennings over James. If Jennings or Evans do not get any votes, it should not bother anyone.

My guess is that James gets half the vote. Three months ago he would have gotten 95 percent of the vote.

Who knows? I could be wrong.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I voted Durant. But hell, I could have easily voted for two or three others in his place. Tough call.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It really is.

I took Wade just for the fact that he had an amazing run in the NCAAs and he has won a title in the pros.

Wade, Durant, James, Williams and Paul can be pretty much unstoppable.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

FYI, Dirk is almost 32 and went straight into the league in a 7-foot body, so the mileage on those wheels is like 35. He won't be in the league in 5 years.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yao Ming's legs are shot. His career might be over. As Bat mentioned, Dirk is an old 32. Melo's got a few miles on him as well.

Guys like LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Howard and Bosh are already established stars.

The guy on the rise is Durant

6. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I'd probably take Deron. Tough choice, but I believe in starting with a point guard who can make those around him better. Plus, he can shoot, drive and defend, and he seems to have what it takes to build a team around.

My second choice would be Durant.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No Darko?

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I know Lebron's stock is down after this Boston meltdown, and I know Durant is the trendy guy right now. So the number of Durant votes doesn't surprise me. But they're still wrong.

Lebron is still clearly the best player in the league, and he's only 25, so he should remain so for a few years more. Durant is a freakishly talented scorer, I'm not sure any player has ever made scoring look so easy, but he doesn't have the all around game like Lebron does, he can't defend like Lebron does, he doesn't handle the ball in the open court or pass like Lebron does, and he doesn't have the explosiveness like Lebron does.

Durant is a trendy choice, but Lebron is still the correct choice.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Rondo or LeBron or Kobe would be my choice.
    Durant is also in the conversation.
    The others, including D.Rose, are a step down as far as overall package.

Also, here in San Antonio we/they are hoping to see Tiago Splitter in a Spurs uniform soon to try and help Tim/Manu/Tony make a run at another title. Need some inside help around here.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Thought you might have gone with Juwan Howard.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think this posts sums it up nicely.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Went with Dwight Howard.

He's like Shaquille O'Neal was 15 (OK, even 12-13) years ago. He's got all the physical tools, and if he just spends an offseason with a high-quality coach or former center mentoring him and helping him develop his offensive game, he would be the obvious answer to this question.

Can always build around a dominant big man. The Jordan Bulls are still the only team in the last 30 years who won it all without having a legitimate force at either power forward or center.

Draft saved Draft deleted