1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Refs Suck

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SockPuppet, Jun 18, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Good get on the rulke pube..I was unaware of the last two minute exception.

The Wade situaton therefore becomes a judgment call. If ref says he landed and established position in backcourt before catching the pass, it's legal.

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Yes, but on some of them the contact was initiated by Wade jumping into the defender, including the one on which he shouldered Adrian Griffin away before hitting the bank shot. I can see getting some of those calls, but not every one.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Foul on Griffin? Hmmmm. Well, he had position between Wade and the basket and Wade initiated the contact to get space for the shot.

4. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Thing is, it wouldn't shock me to see the officiating go overwhelmingly in Dallas's favor on Tuesday, so they can make sure there will be a Game 7.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'd guess after Cuban's tirade Stern will tell the refs tho get it over with because there is no fucking way he wants to risk having to hand the Watergate Trophy to Cuban.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I'm surprised that that is your question, since when he caught the ball, he was in the air, and slightly on the backcourt-side of the midcourt stripe.

7. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Of all the sports, the NBA is far and away the most blatant when it comes to lopsided officiating.

That call on Wade with 1.9 seconds left ....... (speechless in a stunned way)

And, I should note, I'm a neutral observer in this series, but I'd would love to see a fairly officiated series. Won't happen in the NBA. And I thought Game 3 was even worst in Miami's favor than tonight.

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

In college, if you do that, it's over and back. You're position on the court is determined by where you left the floor. If you jump from front to back and catch the ball before you land in back, it's over and back.
    Question is, does that apply in the NBA?

9. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

I can recall off the top of my head at least four phantom/questionable-at-best fouls called in Wade's favor. And I only watched the second half and overtime.

10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Totally true. I was watching the game on TiVo and I rewound it twice and it was clearly a violation.

No. 1, it was amazing the ref, who was standing right there, didn't call it.

No. 2, it was amazing that Hubie and that other idiot didn't even mention it in passing, that hey, that might have been a game-turning violation we just saw there and the ref swallowed his whistle.

And don't even get me started on that last "foul" on Wade...

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

In most cases, pube, if a player is in the air going from frontcourt when he catches the ball and lands in the backcourt it is a backcourt violation because his last estabished position was in FC and he took the ball into BC.
    Again, that is the normal rule.
    The way the "exception" you cited is written, it seems to leave plenty of room for interpretation (i.e, another way to fuck Mark Cuban)

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Wow.

Well, I'm not ever going to change what you think you saw, or your knowledge of what a foul is.

So, I'll agree to disagree with you.

Mavs can't keep up with the boy's moves. Sad but true.

Draft saved Draft deleted