1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Ref to plead guilty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Second Thoughts, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

From The WWL

Former NBA referee Tim Donaghy planned to plead guilty in federal court on Wednesday to charges alleging he bet on games he officiated, a person familiar with the betting scandal probe said.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Actually, AP broke this story.
    And, no, ESPN is not laying claim to it.

3. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

OK. I just meant ESPN had it on their website late last night as breaking news. I hadn't seen it anywhere else and it wasn't on the board.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think what troubles me the most is that he fed info on what relations were like between certain officials and players. This goes along with the study that suggests MLB umpires give a more generous strike zone to pitchers of their own race.
    I'd almost feel better if the officials and umpires were fixing games rather than allowing their personal biases to dictate their calls.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . a charge which not-so-Stern studiously denies . . . simply another example of King David being
    a full-of-shit tool.

6. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/nba/08/16/bc.bkn.bettingprobe.ari.ap/index.html

This is gonna get ugly real quick.
    If Donaghy admits to blowing calls in the Suns-Spurs series, already filled with controversy, ala Robert Horry, oh boy.
    If guilty, he better hope they throw him in jail.

Draft saved Draft deleted