1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Playoffs Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Apr 15, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

This could have been one of the best if not the best finals in history.
    As close as the games were.
    But you can't call a six-game series the best ever.

2. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

Absolutely. He was every bit as awful in the Final as he was awesome in the previous rounds. It's just weird.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

One thing people overlook to me is the change in defensive rules that have happened over the years. The Mavericks are a zone team and that means they not only play zone, but they also use zone principals in their man-to-man to cut off driving lanes.

Wade is able to circumvent much of that because he is so slippery with that change-of-direction move. But at 6-8, 265, James simply has trouble with that. Chicago didn't play like Dallas. Neither did Boston. MJ never had to deal with zone.

To me, as much as the lack of hand-checking helps perimeter play, the elimination of the illegal defense rule hurts guys who like to drive it to the rim. I thought Dallas was really good with their help.

Having said that, I thought James was bad off the dribble, especially in pick-and-roll. When you go around the screen on a pick-and-roll, you need to make an aggressive move toward the basket and make people react to the threat of your drive. James would go sideways and sometimes backwards. Bad habits that cost him against a team he couldn't get away with it against.

4. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

And the Mavs were really close to ending it in 5. Dirk hits that jumper at the end of Game 3, you never know what happens in OT.

5. mb

mb Active Member

True, too.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

That's how good of a series it was. I was more entertained by this series than any other in recent memory.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

That Magary column was great analysis. Had he toned down the gratuitous swear words, it would have been perfect.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Enjoyed these Finals greatly.

Least stressful Finals in about four years.

9. Tommy_Dreamer

Not for me!

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Oh and just because

[​IMG]

Can I get a binky for Baby Bron Bron!

11. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014