1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Playoffs Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Apr 19, 2007.

1. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Tell me how it is that when the game is on the line that Larry always chokes, whether it is a lay up, pass or on defense he always seems to just look awful. I would play D. Gibson with Pavlovic all game long and let Larry "choker" Hughes rot on the bench. Remember that the Cavs played pretty well without him last year against Detriot and if they could have grabbed a defensive rebound in game 6 they would have won that series.

2. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Agreed, definitely. And a good point. I think I better not say much more until I read the entirety of both of your guys' posts on this subject. :)

I'm not sure about Ewing, but maybe that's just me. Parish was darn good even before Boston. Hakeem and KAJ, no question, IMO.

That was a great era, wasn't it? :)

3. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

You got it. Hughes isn't a bad 'stats' guy, but he's not a clutch player, or at least hasn't been his whole career so far.

The thing with this team is it doesn't quite fit together. You have slow (Ziggy) and fast (LBJ, Varejao). You need a better point. It's just a mismash of guys without a set style and identity. Gooden isn't bad, but he's just not quite 'there' as what you want at PF. They need to keep working in the offseasons to make this team more cohesive, with the same type of players so the squad 'fits' together better. That said, they could still get to the NBA Finals this year.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Again, not happy with how these semis are going. I fear the finals matchup.

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I see were you're coming from, but he was wide open. I don't care if it would've won the game. The guy is a professional. You can't make a wide open 8 foot(it looked shorter) jumper? Come on now.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Well, since people are thinking the Pistons are only playing at 40% right now, maybe they up their game against the Spurs. That being said, a repeat of that finals of a couple of year ago isn't appetizing to most of America.

7. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Chuck - believe me, I'm not making excuses for Hughes. I'm ticked he didn't hit that shot. I like the guy, but he's not what the Cavs need, in a variety of ways (not clutch, not a point guard, ...).

GB - Yep. I think that's where we're heading. Fear abounds among ABC execs.

I hope if they get there, DET can play at a higher level. Because based on how things are now, the Spurs are going to take them out without a ton of trouble. But DET does play it's best when it has to. Maybe another Big Shot Rob 3 to basically win the series? (Just kidding, CT).

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yep, and Marshall missed that wide open 3 to end Game 1. Could have been 2-0 Cavs right now. Not liking that.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Of course, you could look at it this way; The Cavs fought the Pistons well on the road, and may get things to go more their way at home. As the saying goes, the series doesn't start until a home team loses.

And why all the vitriol for Mike Brown. He's done a good job in getting this team to the conference finals. But he's still a young coach. It's as though coaches don't improve over the course of their careers. Phil Jackson wasn't Phil Jackson once. Pat Riley wasn't Pat Riley once. He's got to get the chance to develop as a coach. The team has advanced further each season he's been in charge. Give the guy a break.

10. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Great points, IMO, in both paragraphs. The Cavs have to see it this way, although all the "LeBron screwed up x 2" will be all the rage the next few days. Already heard it several times on the radio after the game. Use it for motivation, LBJ.

Brown gets more grief than any coach I can think of in the NBA. He is a young coach, though, as you said. And the Cavs are improving and, IMO, don't have pieces that fit together. So those things should be taken into consideration, I think.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

To Sasha,

A Croat would not have traveled.

12. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

He agrees:
    [​IMG]
    Mirko "Cro Cop" Filopivic, Croatian UFC fighter (who just got shockingly beat, btw)

Draft saved Draft deleted