1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Playoffs Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Apr 19, 2007.

1. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

1st call in to talk show - "LeBron's overrated. He's no Kobe." :)

I agree, Hammer - it should be 1-1 at worst.

But, if the Cavs are ready to grow from this, and I think they are (heck, they already showed this last year against DET), this should be a good series, which I didn't think it was going to be. Nice game by Maxiel. Who?

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'll echo that James couldn't get a freaking call. He didn't get mugged on the last shot, but he did get fouled, just like Varajao did at the other end on defense. Refs didn't do the Cavs any favors, but man, this wasn't Brown's finest game.
    ... The had sooo many good looks at that last shot, from Hughes as from Varajao on the tip in... man, that's killer.

3. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Amended last post.

I agree, am, on your takes.

The thing is, the Cavs are in the conference finals. That is growth. But is Brown the 'bottleneck'? Will Brown grow into the role like the players are trying to do? I don't know, because I haven't seen the Cavs enough, but I've heard all the Brown criticisms.

I think we do have a series, though. Which is good. And if the Cavs are pissed like they should be, and DET is as complacent as they almost are, I think we could see a nice win by CLE in game 3.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

They put in their 40% effort on both of those games and they still won. They only try when they're down Rok, believe me. They could blow them out on every game, but they're good at "saving energy".

5. amraeder

I won't be calling for Brown's head, no matter what happens the rest of the series, but I don't think it was his best game as a coach. The Cavs are growing as a team, and Brown probably deserves credit for that. But he's got to find an answer for the offensive slumps the Cavs can hit, and having LeBron go 1-on-5 isn't the answer.

6. Chuck~Taylor

Mike Brown deserves NONE of the credit. He's the worst coach in the league, by far(yes, even worse than Isiah).

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

And you are dead wrong. Look, the fact that you are trying to downplay how good McHale was to breathe life into your argument about Bird not having another top 20 to play with is comical, but here is the last bit of evidence that should end this once and for all.....

Bird, Parrish and McHale have what in common? Oh that's right, they are all three HALL OF FAMERS. Please name the Hall of Famer Tim Duncan has played with on his last two championship teams -- assuming the Spurs win it this year.

There weren't 20 and probably weren't 10 better players in the league than Kevin McHale in his prime and all of your ridiculous attempts to post stats, which once again aren't in the context of a team that had what some consider to be the best overall starting five in basketball history.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Now on to this game tonight -- the East is God awful to watch and Lebron James was probably fouled, but in that particular game, which resembled those old awful Heat-Knicks brawls games, there is no way you can make that call. It is a man's game at that point, you've got to man up and make that shot.

9. amraeder

Offensively, that could be true. But the Cavs are a MUCH better defensive team than they were two years ago. That's what I'm tempted to give him credit for.

10. Chuck~Taylor

Exactly. At that point of the game, you'd have to get mugged to get a foul call. Refs always swallow their whistle at the end of the games.

11. amraeder

Personally, I thought Sheed's mugging at the other end, on the eventual game-winner, was the more blatant foul that should have been called.

12. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Damn, you really know how to hurt a guy :) Actually Isiah wasn't too terrible last year - as a coach, not as a front-office guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted