1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Playoff dullness...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bruisin Bastards, May 20, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Why is the WCF - last game Thursday - being played before the ECF - last game Wednesday? Does Oprah have OKC's arena tomorrow?

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Based on what Heat players are saying about Bulls series, it's not so much a problem of being winded as it is just banging bodies and giving bruises and strains a little time to heal.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Which are?

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

There seems to be a lot of ignorance in here about today's NBA, which makes sense since it's coming from people who don't watch the game.

I have no problem with the layoffs. If it means Rose gets a chance to rest that ankle instead of playing at 60% in a pivotal game, so be it. It adds to the drama and it's not backbreaking. The playoffs begin and end at around the same time every season; who cares how they work out what's in between?

I find it laughable those who are saying there's no defense in today's game. Laughable. Reeks of stupidity. The game has never before seen better players, offenses and defenses.

And this is not panning 80's NBA. The game has evolved greatly, and it's as if some people refuse to acknowledge it.

And to put "dullness" in regard to these playoffs, too, is absurd as well.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I love the playoffs this year, but the wait is a bot long. Nothing wrong with back to back games at home, which seems verboten.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They should play four games a day. Outside. At the equator. And if you need a sub, you're done, just like baseball.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

So you think having four days off between games is a good thing?

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

One day off for each series, with two off when the teams travel back and forth.
    Thats what the NBA conference finals should feature, as well as the Finals.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not anymore. Players Association had it outlawed in the CBA more than 10 years ago, although they can go 4 games in five nights: tues, Wed, Fri, Sat, etc.

As someone said earlier, the issue is that because of TV, the Finals cannot start before June. So if you compress the playoff schedule and then get a sweep somewhere, you might have two weeks of dead time between series. The only other scenario would be to extend the regular season so the playoffs start later.

11. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Laugh all you want to Den, and call me stupid. But remember, I'm laughing, too, and shaking my head at the same time. You my see one day what we're talking about. Then again, you may not.

12. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Injuries are part of the game. So, if LBJ hurts his hand will Game Five be on Thursday? Don't get that logic. There's no excuse for series to drag out this long, especially when a Friday-Sunday schedule would have sufficed -- and Fridays are prime bar nights, no less.

Draft saved Draft deleted