1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA players: "We were robbed!"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oggiedoggie, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

From: http://www.suntimes.com/news/roeper/489032,CST-NWS-roep30.article

From an outsider's perspective, Chicago must seem more dangerous than Baghdad, at least when it comes to the very specific demographic of 6-foot-9 and over, homegrown NBA players who don't play for the Bulls but continue to keep homes in the area.
    First Mount Carmel alum Antoine Walker is duct-taped and robbed at gunpoint in his River North home. Then Thornwood High's own Eddy Curry experiences the same trauma in his Burr Ridge home.

What the hell is going on?

This is scary stuff. I've been in the same room as Eddy Curry, and I once sat next to Antoine Walker at a baseball game, and they are two of the largest human beings you will ever encounter on this planet -- but size and youth and athleticism and toughness go on the back burner when men wearing masks are pointing guns at you and your family.

--

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Those criminals certainly have some pretty big balls on them.

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I thought this thread was about a reaction piece to the ref scandal...

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Guess Curry and Walker got no street cred. They got punk'd

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's why I clicked on it, too.

6. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

How do people find out where these athletes live?

7. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Worse, it's the second or third time Walker has been robbed in Chicago. I'm pretty sure he was in Chicago when he was the victim of robbery while he was with Boston, and I think he was a victim either during or prior to his career at Kentucky.

You think he'd move.

8. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I would think there are a number of ways to find out, a pretty simple one would be to just follow them from a club. There was robbery of an athlete recently (don't think it was either of these though) where it seemed that was the case because the robbers literally walked in the door behind the athlete.

9. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

You'd think someone, the driver, body guard or whoever, would take notice. Are there no more Kevin Costner-types out there?

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

This quote might help answer your question, Kevin...

"I know some people, who know some people, who know some people, that knows you."

In other words, their boys or their peeps either talk too much around town to their friends, who are looking to make a few bucks. Or, they (Walker and Curry) are still under the impression that their neighborhood isn't that bad of a place to live. Well, it's bad place for a recognized name to continue living there, just because either family or friends don't want to leave.

11. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Between that and the Internet, I don't think it's too difficult to find out where most athletes live, especially the big-timers. Those are *usually* the ones involved in community service-type events... so you know some people on that board who know the athlete, who play golf with said stud, who are invited to swing by to pick up checks, who get all close with their loose-lipped agents and PR flacks, and then wah-lah, you've got a neighborhood and address pinned down.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

They are far, far away, so to speak, from the old neighborhood. Walker was living in a posh city neighborhood near downtown. Eddy Curry came from a suburb (South Holland) that is hardly hell on earth, but where he's living now (Burr Ridge) is a million steps up. (Hey, Dennis DeYoung of Styx lives there!)

Of course, you can get there from here, so to speak, so you figure there might be someone who learns your address who wants to do you wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted