1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA owner fined and suspended

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Apr 29, 2014.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Right. If an arbitrator or a court reduces it, Silver still pounded his chest for the players. Win Win for Silver.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I can't believe how much this spun out of control for Sterling. I'll bet the ex threatened him with the tape and he thought, "Everybody in the league knows me, it will blow over." I mean, he's a piece of shit, but the fact that the recording didn't reveal a crime, only that the owner of an NBA team is a racist shitbag, and now he's banned for life...that's mind-boggling to me.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Silver seemed to be saying that since in all of those cases there was no finding (or admission) of guilt, they weren't brought into play. The Baylor suit was dismissed, the landlord discrimination lawsuits were settled without an admission of guilt. So the NBA apparently didn't do its due diligence and follow-up with its own investigations, and simply let the legal system rulings stand.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Working title for the movie:

Rochelle Rochelle

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Nope. Teams have managing partners who may or may not be the majority owner, and those managing partners are the only signatures that matter for league purposes. Once the league enacts that change, it's up to the managing partner to run the budget and the business.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Color me shocked, really. Suspended for life without a clear rules violation or criminal intent, just "for the good of the game?" Silver's a smart lawyer, but so is Sterling. He's lived most of his life in court. He'll extort whatever he can get from the League, and make the Silna deal look like lunch money.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yes, but it's like Boom said. The final result may not be the important thing in this. It very well may be overturned. But tomorrow morning, the 84-point headlines are going to read that Donald Sterling was not deemed acceptable for the NBA.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Silver had no choice. The only option really to keep this thing from spiraling. Intellectually, I'm not comfortable with the precedent, but he had really no other option.

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

My point is that it's all well and good to ban him from "associating" with the team. It looks and sounds good.

Enforcing that, however, seems to be a challenge, unless, of course, someone records a conversation with him.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Devil in details stuff. What had to happen today was more about perception.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Somewhat akin to a judge telling the jury to ignore x, y and z ...

Shut off the WWL soon as Screamin' A showed up, but the issue of getting 3/4th owners' approval for a sale was up for discussion. Wouldn't voting against a sale = approval of Sterling? Of course, for some it may not pencil out.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's the "slippery slope" Cuban was talking about.

I'm sure there have been some other owners over the years who could have lost teams on the three-quarters vote over bad behavior.

Draft saved Draft deleted