1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA owner fined and suspended

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Apr 29, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Steinbrenner ban is a pretty good example.

Not allowed at the games, or facilities. No operational control.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You mean like the guy who asked Silver if this was especially painful because he and Sterling are both Jewish?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's kind of the point. They can't legally force him to sell the team, but it forces him to either hand over control of the team (the 49ers had a similar situation with Eddie D.) or sell.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

So, if he ultimately has to sign off on a big free agent signing or a new practice facility, how is that not "operational control?"

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Anything other than "banned for life" would have been unsatisfactory. Whether it
    sticks or not is another matter. What needed to happen today is for
    every media outlet in the world to leave that presser and report that
    Sterling is banned for life.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

From what I've heard about the Sterling marriage, I'm not sure that divorce will happen. They've remained married for around 50 years despite the fact that it's been in an "estranged" condition for most of that time, and Donald has been quite openly and overtly flaunting his mistresses courtside since the early 80s.

Appears somewhere they came to a "arrangement" to simply remain legally married but apart. Although, admittedly, this episode may end the arrangement.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He doesn't have to do that.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Exactly. Could not have said it better.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I don't remember in my reading about this story, but was the recording illegal? What are the phone recording/wiretap laws in California? In NJ the law is that as long as one party is aware the call is being recorded its legal. The one party law is the law in the majority of the states, don't know if Cali is one of them or not.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He would have to designate someone to act as his representative for the team.

Also, as per usual, how stupid do the media outlets who breathlessly reported something different from a ban look right now?

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'd guess that he may be able to set a top line budget, but beyond that would not be able to weigh in on free agent signings and the like.

Obviously they'll have to put in procedures. Maybe he has to go through a league appointed liaison for the few decisions he's allowed to partake in.

On a lesser level, Michael Bloomberg had to do this with his company while he was mayor of New York, though he was allowed to weigh in on some major decisions, as I recall.

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

So, if the Clippers wanted to sign, say, Lebron James.

He would have to pay for it, right? He would have to decide whether to apportion or deny funds to that transaction. It's still his money, and he would have to decide how it is spent

Draft saved Draft deleted